THE YEAR 1906

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The old Armory building at West and Mickle Streets was burned down in March 16, 1906. 

Heroes of the Armory Fire of March 1906

The building was built in 1877 by the Farmer’s and Butchers’ Market Company with the intention of starting a large wholesale and retail market. The venture was not a success and after the building had been used for theatrical purpose for several years, it was taken over on June 9, 1883, by the 6th Regiment, National Guard of New Jersey, as an armory. When the Armory on Haddon Avenue was completed in 1898 the regiment moved there, and the old building was used for athletic exhibitions, roller skating, and for storage. The Camden Electrics of the National Basketball League, the first professional basketball league ever organized, made this building their home from 1898 until the team folded in 1904. 

Grace Lutheran Church organized on March 7, 1906. The church is at 4th and State Streets.

The Young Women’s Christian association (YWCA) was organized in Camden on December 15, 1906. The association moved into its present building on Stevens Street above Broadway on May 17, 1924

The electrification of certain lines of the West Jersey & Seashore Railroad in South Jersey was finished in the fall of 1906. The first electric train between Camden and Atlantic City was run on September 28 of that year. Electric service between Camden and Millville commenced October 14, 1906. A tragic accident, in which an electric train jumped the tracks and fell into the Thorofare at Atlantic City, with great loss of life, occurred October 28, 1906.

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE