THE YEAR 1905

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The Camden Park Commission on March 12, 1905 opened bids for the improvement of the tract if 80 acres known as Red Hill Park (later Forest Hill Park). 

The passenger rates on the Amboy Division of the Pennsylvania Railroad were reduced April 1, 1905, about one-third, because of competition from the trolley roads

Stephen Titus, who had lived and owned a hat store at 316 Federal Street for over fifty years, died on April 22, 1905

East End Trust Company organized May 26, 1905. Dr. C.F. Hadley was the first president.

Camden Free Library Building, built with money donated by Andrew Carnegie, Broadway and Line Street, opened to the public on June 27, 1905. 7,000 books were on the shelves. The cost of the building was about $86,000

 

The Carnegie Library, Broadway & Line St
The postmark on the card is April 28,1906
The Carnegie Library, Broadway & Line St
The Carnegie Library, Broadway & Line St The Carnegie Library, Broadway & Line St

 

Camden experienced a healthy building boom in June of 1905, with new residences being erected in many parts of the city

The 3rd Regiment, National Guard of New Jersey, of Camden NJ, was selected as a military guard of honor to President Roosevelt on the occasion of his visit to Asbury Park NJ, on July 7, 1905

County Detectives were stationed along the White Horse Pike in September of 1905 to arrest speeding automobilists. This is the first record of organized control of speeders in the county.

The Bell Telephone Company made application to City Council on September 23, 1905 to put certain of its wires underground. The application was denied, because of the existing City ordinance against the tearing up of improved streets. The city was also contemplating the building of its own conduits and planning to rent them to telephone and other companies using wires along the streets

“Peanut Joe” Dithenski, a well known character in Camden for many years, died on November 4, 1905, at the age of 72

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE