THE YEAR 1904

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

Forest Hill Park, of about eighty acres on the Cooper River, was purchased in 1904. 

Holy Trinity Lutheran Church was organized May 15, 1904. The church was dedicated on June 17, 1906

The cornerstone of the new Courthouse was laid with impressive ceremonies on August 18, 1904. Workmen tearing down the old Court House were unable to find any cornerstone.

David J. Pancoast, long a prominent citizen of Camden, died October 17, 1904.

Colonel James M. Scovel, one of the most picturesque characters in Camden for many years, died in Cape May NJ on December 2, 1904 at the age of 72

William H. Cole, one of the best known men in Camden in his day, died in Phoenix AZ on December 15, 1902(4). A resident of North Camden,  he had engaged in real estate and had served as Camden's building inspector in the late 1880s and early 1890s. He was 67 years old

John F. Starr Sr., once Congressman and for many years prominent in Camden business and banking circles, died in Atlantic City NJ August 8, 1904 at the age of 86 years

The tollgate which for many years had been in existence at 36th Street and Westfield Avenue was abandoned in September of 1904.

Eastern Telephone Company, of which John J. Burleigh was manager, opened its lines from, Camden to Atlantic City on June 1, 1904

Early in June 1904 this item appeared in the newspapers:

“The automobile is abroad in the land and seems destined to stay”. The writer then advocates drastic measures to control the speed of the machines, and says that in some towns between Camden and Atlantic City constables will be armed with guns “to be used in puncturing the tires and machinery of the offending vehicle”. 

A disastrous fire destroyed the stock of records and practically everything ion the shipping department of the Victor Talking Machine Company on April 23, 1904

Public drinking fountains were put in service on May 1, 1904 in Camden.

Charles Watson died on March 23, 1904 at the age of 74. While he was not the father of gas lighting in Camden, nevertheless he was a most important factor in the development of the Camden Gas Light Company

On February 2, 1904, the county officials moved out of the old Court House, which was subsequently torn down to make room for the new structure. County Collector Mahlon F. Ivins Sr. was the last official to leave his office. During the erection of the new building the courts were held in the City Hall

Camden’s horse lovers enjoyed splendid sleighing early in January, 1904. For many years Cooper Street had been a speedway for racing on the snow

Camden experienced a cold winter in 1904. In January the Delaware was frozen solid at Petty’s Island, and shipping was at a standstill

The building of the “hump” at Broadway and Bulson Street was started early in 1904. The Atlantic City Railroad Company began depressing its tracks in January in preparation of this improvement which was to eliminate a most dangerous grade crossing. So much litigation was started as a result of this “hump” that in April the work was discontinued until fall

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE