THE YEAR 1902

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The oil cloth plant of R.H. & B.C. Reeve was acquired by the Farr & Bailey Oil Cloth Company on May 21, 1902. 

Paul Woodward, a youthful degenerate, confessed to killing, on October 1, 1902, by poison Price Jennings and John H. Coffin, two boys with whom he formed an acquaintance. Woodward was convicted and sentenced to be hung January 7, 1903

There was a severe outbreak of smallpox in Camden in January of 1902. A city isolation hospital was put into use. For the month ending January 16, 1902, 74 cases were reported in the city

The shipbuilding firm of Quigley & Dorp, with a plant at Cooper’s Point, was organized in February of 1902.

The blizzard which occurred February 17, 1902 paralyzed traffic and was followed a few days later by a sleet storm that broke down wires and plunged the city in darkness. Seven horses were killed by falling wires

In March of 1902 a company was incorporated in Camden to tunnel the Delaware between Camden and Philadelphia. Captain Emmor D. French, of Camden, was one of the incorporators, but nothing ever came of the venture

Comptroller Samuel Hufty reported to City Council on March 26, 1902 the amount expended in the recent smallpox epidemic totaled $20,257.78

The American Cigar Company’s new factory was opened on March 26, 1902, giving employment to 500 hands.

The Nonpareil Cork Company purchased the plant of the old Keystone Chemical Company at the foot of Jefferson Street in March of 1902. This is became the plant of the Armstrong Cork Company, which in 1928 was one of Camden’s large industries

The building of houses on the “Parkside Tract” began in the spring of 1902. This was the beginning of what became known as Camden's Parkside neighborhood.

The County Building Committee was appointed March 19, 1902 by the board of Freeholders to prepare plans and supervise the erection of a new Court House. This committee did its work well, and the cornerstone of the present building was laid August 18, 1904

The work of demolishing the old Carman Mansion at Broadway and Federal Street was begun in July of 1902 to make way for the new store building of George A. Munger, to be used as a department store by Munger and Elmer Ellsworth Long. Munger & Long opened their big department store on April 12, 1904. The building was acquired by Stecker & Company in 1926, and by the J.C. Penney Company in the 1930s

The ordinance providing for the elevation of the tracks of the Pennsylvania Railroad on Bridge Avenue was passed April 24, 1902. The houses on the south side of Taylor’s Avenue had been demolished in October of 1901 in preparation for this improvement

Early in April of 1902 the Eastern Telephone & Telegraph Company announced the completion of its cable under the Delaware River, connecting the lines of the Camden subscribers with those of the Keystone Company in Philadelphia

The freight office and freight sheds of the Pennsylvania Railroad on Second Street, between Benson and Berkeley Streets, were used for the first time in May of 1902

The Loeb & Schoenfeld Company filed articles of incorporation in Camden on May 5, 1902 with a capital of $500,000

In May of 1902 the Pennsylvania Railroad began to tear down buildings in preparation for the elevation of its tracks in Camden. When this improvement was completed it marked one of the greatest advances in rail transportation in Camden

Real estate in Camden experienced a marked “boom” in May of 1902

A project was started in July of 1902 to provide homes in Camden for 4000 and more men employed by the New York Shipbuilding Company. At this time most of these men were living outside of the city

Fire destroyed the large building of the Browning Dye Company on Pine Street on August 20, 1902, entailing a loss of $50,000

The City Water works reservoir at Pavonia was carried away on October 2, 1902. Many thousands of dollars of damage was done to property in the trail of escaping water

Cornerstone of the Convent of the Dominican Sisters of the Perpetual Rosary on Haddon Avenue was laid on October 26, 1902

In October of 1902 the Security Trust Company, which had been previously created by the consolidation of the Security Trust & Safe Deposit Company and the Real Estate Loan & Trust Company, absorbed the New Jersey Trust & Safe Deposit Company. Francis R. Fithian was the President if the Security Trust Company at that time

Fire at the licorice plant, and adjoining properties in South Camden on November 8, 1902, caused a loss of $1,000,000

On December 31, 1902 the new coke plant of the South Jersey Gas, Electric, and Traction Company was put into operation. The new plant cost $500,000. This company was pumping natural gas to all towns between Camden and Trenton and to Gloucester City and Woodbury.

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE