THE YEAR 1901

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

December 1, 1901 was the first day on which automobile owners were required to register with the Clerk of the Board of freeholders. Each automobile was required to display a tag furnished by this official. A speed limit of ten miles per hour was fixed for all county roads. 

The telephone system of the Eastern Telephone and Telegraph Company was put in operation about February 1, 1901. This company passed to the control of the Keystone Telephone and Telegraph Company in May of 1906

The American Cigar Company erected its factory at 6th and Mechanic Streets in 1901. A year later this factory was employing 500 hands

The Public Service Building on Federal Street above Fourth was erected by the South Jersey, Gas, Electric and Traction Company and was occupied on September 30, 1901. 

 

Public Service Corporation Building

This building has been the home of the Camden Free Public Library since the 1980s. 

General William Joyce Sewell, United States Senator from New Jersey and head of the West Jersey Railroad Company, died December 27, 1901.

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE