THE YEAR 1898

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The project for removing Smith and Windmill Islands in the Delaware River, called for a depth of 26 feet at low water, and this was completed on January 10, 1898. The work of dredging was begun in 1891 by James A. Munday & Company, who afterwards failed and the work was continued and completed by the American Dredging Company. 

The Pennsylvania Railroad YMCA opened its building at 3rd Street and Bridge Avenue on January 13, 1898

The plant of the C. Howard Hunt Pen Company, on State Street, was erected in 1898-1899

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE