THE YEAR 1893

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The first police patrol wagon was ordered by Camden in May of 1893. 

Camden Republican Club opened its club house at 5th and Lawrence Streets on June 13, 1893. In 1899 the club moved to the Newkirk property on Cooper Street above 3rd, where it remained for a number of years until finally disbanded. 

"The Kermiss", the biggest social and charitable event in Camden up to that time, was held in the Temple Theatre on December 15 and 16, 1893. 

An Independent Citizens' Movement was inaugurated to elect city and county officials on a non-partisan basis in 1893. The outcome of this movement was the organization of the Committee of One Hundred, in December of 1894. 

St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church in East Camden was dedicated on December 16, 1893. The original church was built at 25th and Howell Streets. Badly damaged by a fire in October of 1915, the church was rebuilt. A new church was completed at 29th Street and Westfield Avenue on the site of the former St. Patrick's Cemetery in 1929. This building is now part of the building which houses St. Joseph's School. The grounds of the old church are now a city park and ball field.

In 1952, the present-day St. Joseph's Pro Cathedral was built, in the 2800 block of Federal Street. 

The Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church, at 5th and Cooper Streets, was dedicated in September of 1893. Designed by architect Frank R. Watson, the church succeeded the adjacent chapel, which had been erected in 1868. The chapel (at the left in the photograph), was designed by John Frazier of Philadelphia.
     The main auditorium seats about 750 in an amphitheatre style.
This is a dark sandstone building, the stone being Trenton brownstone. Construction had begun in 1892.

Centenary
Methodist Episcopal Church

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE