THE YEAR 1892

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

Water for East Camden was first turned on by the Stockton Water Company in September of 1892. George Pfeiffer Jr., for whom which Pfeiffer in East Camden was named, was the President of the Compnay. John T. Rodan was the superintendent for many years, beginning in 1902.

Pavonia Park was opened on May 16, 1892. 

A black man, Francis Lingo, was tried for the murder of Mrs. Annie Leconey Miller. He was acquitted in November of 1892. 

The cornerstone of the Masonic Temple, also known as the Temple Theatre and later as the Temple Building, on Market Street above 4th Street, was laid on June 24, 1892. The theater was opened on September 20, 1892, with Fred Frear and Annie Myers in the comic opera "Tar and Tartar", followed by The Hanlon Brothers in "Fantasma", and on November 1-2 by Fannie Rice. Julia Marlowe played in the temple Theatre during the entire week of February 20-25, 1893, and Alexander Salvini performed on March 13, 14, and 15, 1893. During that season and the one following, performances were given by Mrs. John Drew, McKee Rankin, Sidney Drew, Phyllis Rankin, Roland Reed, Miss Isadore Rush, J.K. Emmett, Annie Pixley, and Charles B. Hanford

 

 TAR AND TARTAR
played in
Trenton NJ
the following month in 1892

Ad from
TRENTON TIMES
October 12, 1892

Click on Image to Enlarge


They Played at the Temple Theatre - 1892-1893

Annie Pixley Charles B. Hanford Roland Reed
Mrs. John Drew McKee Rankin Sidney Drew

Miss Isadore Rush
Julia Marlowe
 


The Camden Safe Deposit & Trust Company, which first opened on July 1, 1873, opened its new building at the northeast corner of Broadway and Market Street on October 31, 1892. 

In 1938 the bank shortened its name again to that of Camden Trust. By the time it celebrated its 75th Anniversary, in 1948, the Camden Trust was the largest bank in South Jersey, and seventh largest in the state.

The
Camden Trust Building

2003

Click on Image to Enlarge

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE