THE YEAR 1887

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The committee of City Council reported adversely upon the proposition to light the city by electricity in May of 1887. 

Construction of the car shops of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company at Pavonia was begun in May of 1887. 

The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children organized in Camden on January 26, 1887. 

The hotel known as the South Ferry Hotel, located on the southeast corner of Front Street and Kaighn Avenue, kept by John Korn, was partially destroyed by fire on March 12, 1887, with the loss of three lives.  This was one of the oldest buildings in the southern section of the city. It was built by Joseph Kaighn as a private residence in 1750. In 1809 it became the Ferry House Hotel under the management of Joseph Kaighn, a descendant. It remained in the Kaighn family until 1821, when it was purchased by the widow of Clement Reeves. In 1828 it was purchased by Ebenezer Toole and operated by him in conjunction with William Champion when it was sold to the South Camden Ferry Company. 

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE