THE YEAR 1886

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The Raymond Academy on Penn Street below 5th was dedicated on November 26, 1886. The building was later occupied by the Carteret Club, which formerly had been known as the Camden Wheelmen. 

The New Jersey Safe Deposit and Trust Company was incorporated on November 10, 1886. Its temporary office was at 225 Market Street, until the building at 301 Market Street, designed by local architect Arthur Truscott, was occupied on November 1, 1888. This company was merged with the Security Trust Company on December 8, 1902, and was thereafter known as the Security Trust Company

The Wiley Methodist Episcopal Church was organmized in December of 1886. 

The Unitarian Church on Benson Street was built in 1886-1887. 

The Fairview Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in the spring of 1886. The church building was erected in the spring of 1893.  

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE