THE YEAR 1885

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The Camden National Bank opened at 259 Kaighn Avenue on August 13, 1885. Zophar C. Howell was the first President. The brick bank building at 2nd and Kaighn Avenue was opened in July of 1887. The bank removed to its new building at Broadway and Sycamore Street in 1906. This bank merged with the First Camden National Bank and Trust Company on July 1, 1927.

The Linden Baptist Church was organized on December 17, 1885. 

The first Board of Health was organized in Camden on July 15, 1885. Previous to this date the Sanitary Committee of City Council had acted on all health matters. Dr. John D. Leckner was the first President of the Board of Health.

The charter of the Camden Homeopathic Hospital and Dispensary Association was granted February 5, 1885. The house at 4th and Arch Streets was fitted up for hospital use and opened on March 2, 1885. In 1887 the property at West and Stevens Streets was purchased, and the hospital moved there and continued its work until the fall of 1890, when it was voted to close the hospital. On May 15, 1891 the West Jersey Homeopathic Dispensary and Hospital association was incorporated. The house at 3 North 5th was rented and fitted up as a dispensary; and later the building at West and Stevens Street was purchased from the old Association and opened to the public on March 25, 1892. The cornerstone of the present West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital at Mount Ephraim and Atlantic Avenues was laid on June 29, 1912. 

The Church of the Sacred Heart was formed on October 13, 1885. The church building was dedicated on March 7, 1887. 

Click on Image to Enlarge

 

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE