THE YEAR 1880

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The rate of fare on all ferry boats between Camden and Philadelphia was reduced to three cents, and nine tickets for twenty-five cents. 

Belgian block pavement was first laid on Federal Street. 

Typhus fever appeared in the Camden Almshouse at Blackwood, and caused consternation throughout Camden County. 

Wynn Memorial Baptist Church was organized. The church building was dedicated on February 23, 1890.

The first train on the West Jersey & Atlantic City Railroad was run on June 16, 1880. 

West Jersey Railroad Pass from 1888
Click on Image to Enlarge

The cornerstone was laid for the Kaighn Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church in 1880.

The Linden Worsted Mills of the Howland Croft Sons & Company was established in Camden in 1880. It manufactured worsted yarn for weaving cloth for fine men's wear, and its annual product ran into millions of pounds of worsted yarns. 

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE