THE YEAR 1877

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

St. Stephen's Protestant Episcopal Church was built near 10th and Cooper Streets in 1877, being known as St. Paul's Chapel. On August 17, 1896, the cornerstone of the building to be hereafter designated as St. Stephens's was laid by Bishop Scarborough and the opening service in that church was held on the following November 22nd. On May 28, 1907, the congregation voted to become an independent parish to be known as St. Stephen's. 

The Philadelphia and Atlantic Railroad Company was chartered March 26, 1876 under the General Railroad Act of 1873, and a trial trip over the line was made from Camden to Atlantic City on July 7, 1877, the work of construction having been completed in 90 days. The road was originally constructed as a narrow gauge line. On September 20, 1883 the company was placed in the hands of a receiver, and under foreclosure proceedings passed into the hands of the Philadelphia and Reading Railway Company. Under new management it was changed to a broad gauge rail line in October of 1884, and made a double track road in 1889. On May 29, 1889, the Atlantic City Railway Company was authorized to lay tracks so as to connect with the ferry at Kaighn's Point.

Kaighn's Point Ferry

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE