THE YEAR 1874

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The West Jersey Orphanage was chartered February 17, 1874. The home was organized by the Society of Friends and its object was to provide a home for destitute colored children. Joseph M. Kaighn donated three lots of ground at Oak and Chestnut Streets, and the three adjoining lots were purchased. Subsequently, however, it was decided to purchase of James W. Purnell the two story brick building, erected by Joseph Kaighn for a farmhouse, at 6th and Mechanic Streets, together with one-half acre of land adjoining. The building was opened for the reception of colored children January 20, 1875. 

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE