THE YEAR 1871

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church dedicated its first frame meetinghouse in May of 1871, near Pavonia Station. For ten years the organization was known as Harmony Methodist Episcopal Church. The name was next changed to Dudley Methodist Episcopal Church. In August of 1879, a lot was purchased on Westfield Avenue near Church Street and the present building was erected in 1881. On April 3, 1897, the name was again changed, to Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church.

“Linden Terrace”, on Linden Street between 4th and 5th Streets was authorized by ordinance on March 30, 1871. The green stone houses, thirty-four in number, lining both sides of the Terrace, were built in 1870

Linden Terrace
This neighborhood was razed to make room
for the Delaware River Bridge in the early 1920s

 

An epidemic of smallpox struck South Camden in August of 1871. 

Dr. Lorenzo F. Fisler, historian and who served eight one-year terms as Mayor of Camden, died on March 30, 1871.. 

The New Jersey Woman’s Suffrage Association held a convention in Morgan’s Hall on December 1, 1871.

The Trinity Baptist Church was organized December 7, 1871, and on December 21, 1871, ratified the purchase of the Presbyterian meeting house on 5th Street above Market Street. This building was used until 1896, when it was decided to erect a new edifice ion the same site

The “Act to revise and amend the charter of the city of Camden” was approved February 14, 1871. This Act extinguished the old township of Newton by annexing all of its remaining territory to the City of Camden. The Act abolished the old wards and created eight new ones. It also changed the method of electing the principal officials

The cornerstone of St. John's Parish new stone building was laid on April 21, 1871, by Bishop Odenheimer. The parish buildings were added in 1884-1885. The Men's Club was opened on May 29, 1893. 

St. John's Church

531 Broadway

Click on Image to Enlarge

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE