THE YEAR 1870

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The West Jersey Press Building at Front and Market Street was formally opened December 22, 1870. It was sold to the Victor Talking Machine Company and torn down in May of 1914 to make room for one of the large buildings of the Victor Plant. The fourth floor of the Press building was used as the Armory of the Sixth Regiment, National Guard of New Jersey. Gatling Gun Company B, organized in 1878, also had its first quarters in this building.

In June of 1870, the Orthodox Friends established their first Sunday School in Camden.

The “Old Show Lot” frequently used by circuses and other out-door exhibitions in 1868-1870 was located at the northeast corner of 5th and Penn Streets. As an illustration of the amount of vacant or undeveloped land within the present built-up portion of the city, it may be cited that in 1870 the block bounded by Broadway, Mickle Street, 5th Street, and Benson Street was favorably considered as a public park by a committee of the City Council

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE