THE YEAR 1868

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

A meeting of the citizens of West Jersey was held in the Camden Court House on June 19, 1868, to consider methods for constructing a bridge across the Delaware River at an estimated cost of $2,000,000. A similar meeting was held in Philadelphia a few days later and it was recommended that a company be formed for the purpose of building the bridge. As a result the Philadelphia & Camden Delaware Bridge Company was incorporated on March 9, 1869. 

An organization known as the Young Menís Christian Association , or YMCA, was organized in 1868, and its first rooms were on the third floor of the building at 106 Market Street. 

The Union American Methodist Episcopal Church on Chestnut Street between 7th and 8th Streets laid its cornerstone on July 25, 1868. 

The Camden Police began wearing uniforms in December of 1868. 

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE