THE YEAR 1867

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

Broadway Baptist Church was formed in 1867 in a carpenter shop which stood on the present site of the Tabernacle Baptist Church. After ten years of struggle to keep the church active, some members, on October 10, 1877, organized the Tabernacle Baptist Church. 

The Camden City Dispensary was incorporated February 5, 1867. The building at 725-29 Federal Street was completed on January 8, 1892. 

Damon Lodge No. 2, the first Knights of Pythias Lodge in Camden, was instituted December 12, 1867. The Grand Lodge, Knight of Pythias, held its first annual meeting in Camden April 20, 1868. 

The Church of Saints Peter and Paul was organized April 8, 1867,and purchased the old church property of the Second Street Baptist Church at 4th and Division Streets. The church at Spruce and St. Johnís Streets was opened December 7, 1890. The original church and other property was sold in March 1907 to the Italian congregation of Our lady of Mount Carmel. 

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE