THE YEAR 1865

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The Camden Home for Friendless Children was incorporated April 6, 1865. The first home, a rented property at 522 Federal Street, was formally opened May 30, 1865, although three weeks earlier the first child had been admitted. In 1869 the house at 520 Federal Street was also rented because the other building had become over-crowded. In 1871 the tract of land on the Haddonfield Turnpike, present-day Haddon Avenue, was donated by Mrs. Eliza C. Collings, and a piece adjoining was given by Mrs. Mary Ann Cope Morris, of Germantown. On this land of about one acre the building of the present Home was begun May 13, 1873.

The ferry rates between Camden and Philadelphia on June 1, 1865 were as follows: Each adult passenger 5 cents; children between 4 and 12 years of age 2 cents; package tickets (34 rides) $1.00; six-month commutation tickets (day boats only) $5.00.

American Woolen Machine Works, later known as Furbush’s Mill, was located in the old Cope Paper Mills on Cooper’s Creek..

The Celebration in honor of the return of the Camden County soldiers from the War of the Rebellion was held at Haddonfield July 4, 1865. It was a a great affair.

The Philotechnic Institute was established in 1865 through the efforts of Rudolphus Bingham. In 1867, by special act of the Legislature, it was incorporated as the Philotechnic University. After a varying existence the organization was disbanded in 1877.

The Memorial Methodist Protestant Church was organized during the fall of 1865. In 1866 a frame building was erected on the west side of Broadway below Kaighn Avenue, and the Reverend Boston Corbett was chosen as the second Pastor. Corbett, while a sergeant in the Army, had shot John Wilkes Booth, the assassin of President Lincoln, in 1865. In 1876 the frame building was replaced by a brick structure, which was used until about 1880, when an exchange was made for the building on Liberty Street above Third, that had previously been used by a mission of the 5th Street Church. In 1886 extensive alterations were made to this building..

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE