THE YEAR 1863

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The first concerted movement among the storekeepers of Camden to close their stores on holidays occurred July 4, 1863.

The building of the Camden Woolen Mill started in September 1863, and the plant was completed and in full operation by January 1865. It was operated until March 18, 1893, when it was placed in the hands of J. Willard Morgan as Receiver. In 1884 the Highland Worsted mills were erected within the Camden Woolen Mills grounds; and in 1896 the buildings of the old Camden Woolen Mills were also occupied by the Highland Mills. 

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE