THE YEAR 1860

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

Stage lines still played an important part in the transportation of passengers and freight from Camden to the interior portions of West Jersey in 1860

Tabernacle Methodist Episcopal Church organized February 27, 1860. The first church at 3rd and Vine Streets was dedicated November 1, 1860. In 1867 a larger church was founded to be needed and the brick building at 3rd and Pearl Streets was erected and dedicated in November of 1870. This church was so badly damaged by the tornado (called a cyclone in the parlance of the day) which struck Camden in August 3, 1885 that it was torn down and a brown stone building was erected. The auditorium of this structure was dedicated on October 16, 1887.  

As showing the evolution of the postal service in Camden a notice appeared in the Camden Democrat on October 20, 1860 in which William H. Jenkins advertised that as he was about to resign as "Letter Carrier of Camden N.J." he offered for sale his "City Despatch". This "Despatch", similar to "Blood's Despatch" of Philadelphia, was started August 1, 1853 for the delivery of letters throughout the City of Camden.

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE