THE YEAR 1859

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The first Catholic Church in Camden was opened October 9, 1859, and dedicated by Bishop Bayley on November 20th. This building was situated at 5th Street and Taylor Avenue. Previous to this time services were held and masses said in the old City Hall, in Starr's Hall, and in private houses by visiting priests. The original church was used as a chapel until the completion of the Church of the Immaculate Conception at Broadway and Market Street. This building was formally opened on July 27, 1866. The Parochial School was erected in 1874; and the Catholic Lyceum opened January 18, 1897. 

Above: Church of the Immaculate Conception
Below: The Camden Lyceum
Click on Images to Enlarge

 

The North Baptist Church was organized on November 15, 1859. The church had been in existence as a mission school for four or five years already. The church building at 2nd and Pearl Streets was dedicated on February 25, 1865, and the church on Linden Street below 4th was first used for public worship on May 29, 1894.  

North Baptist Church at 317 Linden Street

Click on Images to Enlarge

 

The Second Presbyterian Church was started in a chapel erected at 4th and Benson Streets with money contributed largely by members of the First Church. The church was formally organized by the Presbytery on March 1, 1860, and the main church dedicated September 2, 1866. The congregation combined with the First Church on March 25, 1923. 

Second Presbyterian Church 4th & Benson Street

Click on Images to Enlarge

 

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE