THE YEAR 1855

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The Third Baptist Church on Broadway above Van Hook Street was founded ion August 1, 1855 under the name of Stockton Baptist Church. Its place of meeting was in an building on Van Hook Street, which had been erected in 1854 for the use of the Sunday School by those who subsequently founded this church organization. This building was sold to the Church of Our Savior in 1863 and a new one erected on the present site on Broadway. The name of the church was changed in 1871 to the Third Baptist Church the reason for the change being that under the new charter the town of Stockton became part of the Eighth Ward of the City of Camden. 

The New Jersey Agricultural Society held its first fair in Camden in September of 1855, in what was afterwards known as Diamond Cottage Grove.  

The Cooper mansion on ground bounded by State Street, Point Street, York Street, and Front Street was built in 1855 by Joseph W. Cooper. 

The Farmers and Mechanics Bank was organized with a capital of $300,000 on March 31, 1855. The banking house at the southeast corner of Front and Market Streets was built at the cost of $18,000. This institution was conducted as a State Bank until September 1, 1864 when it became a National Bank and its title changed to First National Bank of Camden. On July 1, 1922, it merged with the National State Bank under the title of First National State Bank of Camden. The banking house of the National State Bank was used by the combined institutions and the old building of the First National Bank was subsequently sold to the Joseph Campbell Soup Company.

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE