THE YEAR 1852

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

St. John's Parish was incorporated on January 7, 1852, having been in its inception a mission of St. Paul's Parish. In 1853 a lot was secured at the northwest corner of Broadway and Royden Street. The "Floating Chapel of the Redeemer for Seamen of the Port of Philadelphia", moored at the foot of Spruce Street, Philadelphia, was bought, removed from the two canal boats upon which it rested, and drawn across open lots and placed on this site. This building was re-christened as St. John's and was used as a place of worship from September 11, 1853 until Christmas Day of 1870, when it burned down. A new stone building was at once erected, the cornerstone being laid on April 21, 1871, by Bishop Odenheimer. The parish buildings were added in 1884-1885. The Men's Club was opened on May 29, 1893. 

The Camden & Atlantic Railroad Company was chartered March 19, 1852. The survey of the road was completed on June 18 and the company organized at a meeting in the Arch Street Hotel on June 24, 1852. The construction of the road was begun September 7, 1852. Trains were operated from Cooper's Point to Haddonfield on August 9, 1853, and to Winslow by January 1, 1854. The road was completed its entire length, except for the bridge over the Thorofare into Atlantic City, and the first passenger train was run on July 1, 1854. In February of 1883, control of the Camden and Atlantic Railroad passed to the Pennsylvania Railroad Company.

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE