THE YEAR 1850

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The "Dudley Charter" for the City of Camden, written by Thomas H. Dudley, was passed on March 5, 1850. The ward division- North, Middle, and South- were retained. 

The Cooper's Point Ferry Company incorporated on February 23, 1850. It was operated under the direction of Joseph W. Cooper until 1854, when it was taken over for one year by the Camden & Atlantic Railroad Company. The original owners then formed a new company. The Cooper's Point and Philadelphia Ferry Company on February 20, 1856. This new company was purchased by the Camden & Atlantic Railroad on January 24, 1872 and operated in connection with its train service until this railroad came under the control the Pennsylvania Railroad Company on February 22, 1883. 

The exact time a ferry was established at Cooper's Point is not definitely known but it was certainly prior to 1708. It was generally referred to as the Upper Ferry or Uncle Billy's Ferry.

 

The
Upper Ferry

Click on Image
to Enlarge

The Arasapha, built in 1865 and burned to the water's edge in 1887, was rebuilt at the John H. Dialogue & Son shipyard and was equipped with electric lights, being the first ferry so equipped to ply the Delaware. 

The Lenni Lenape Tripe, No. 2, Improved Order of Red Men, was organized on May 10, 1850. This is the oldest lodge of this order existing in New Jersey as of 1928. 

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE