THE YEAR 1849

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The West Jersey Hotel at Delaware Avenue and Market Street was built by the West Jersey Ferry Company in 1849. The name was changed to new Camden Hotel in 1909. A few years later the name was again changed, this time to the Hotel Ridgway and passed to the management of the company operating the Ridgeway House at the foot of Market Street, Philadelphia. The porches and cupola which adorned the original structure were removed in December of 1911.

Hotel Ridgway

While the airplane indicates that this postcard dates from around 1918, the drawing of the Hotel Ridgway is from before 1911. Note the cupola on the roof of the hotel.

Click on Image to Enlarge

 

The first Building and Loan Association in Camden was organized on May 5, 1849, when the Camden Building Association was formed. The second association was organized on March 2, 1851. As of 1928 there were more than one hundred Building and Load Associations on Camden.

Camden suffered from its second cholera epidemic in 1849. This was more severe than the one in 1832.

The Kaighn's Point Land Company laid out the settlement known as Centerville. The area was later renamed Stockton and later became part of Camden's Eighth Ward. The name Centerville stuck, however, and this neighborhood still carries that name in 2003.

Another neighborhood in East Camden, which was the last part of Stockton Township to be annexed to Camden, also was and occasionally still is referred to as Stockton. 

Ross's Haircloth Factory at Fourth and Federal Streets, employing one hundred persons, burned down in 1849.

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE