THE YEAR 1834

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

By act of Congress on June 30, 1834, Camden became a Port of Entry in the District of Bridgeton. The several surveyors of the Port were:
 

1834-1835

Morris Croxall

1835-1839

Jesse Bullock

1839-1841

Morris Croxall

1841-1843

Philip J. Gray

1843-1849

Charles S. Garrett

1849-1853

Philip J. Gray

1853-1858

Isaac W. Mickle

1858-1861

Thomas B. Atkinson

1861-1867

Dr. Sylvester Burdsall

In 1867 Camden was put in the Philadelphia District in charge of an Assistant Collector. 
The Assistant Collectors have been:

1867-1875

Philip J. Gray

1875-1881

W.P. Robeson

1881-1886

David S. Heyl

1886-1890

George D. Borton

1890-1894

J. Eugene Troth

1894-1898

David B. Peterson

1898-1912

Frank F. Patterson Sr.

1912-1913

William H. Turnbull

By an act of Congress passed August 24, 1912, Camden was made Part of the Port of Philadelphia and the office of Assistant Collector at Camden was abolished on June 30, 1913. 

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE