Haddonfield

 

This is a delightfully quiet and pleasing retreat, built in the heart of the most healthy surroundings. There are open fields, wooded hills and glens, and the country about is intersected by shaded walks and drives, which carry the rambler, when but a short dis­tance from town, through some of those highly-culti­vated truck farms which have made Jersey renowned and unrivaled as a garden-produce raiser. Haddon-field possesses a population of two thousand, with churches, schools, mail and telegraph service, and all the municipal regulations of a large city. Here, the man under the pressure and strain of business in the turmoil of the city all day, finds the favorite retired and nerve-toning suburban home.

Prominent among its business enterprises are :

MR. CLEMENT

CLEMENT & GIFFIN, GENERAL DEALERS, 
MAIN AND ELLIS STS.

WITHOUT a doubt the handsomest and best store in this section of the State is that of Hessrs. Clement & Giffin. This business was established by Hr. A. W. Clement, the father of the present Hr. Clement, many years ago. The present firm succeeded about five years ago.

The store is 65 feet front with a depth of 130 feet in the rear; and a large shed is used for storage.

The stock carried is heavy and varied, comprising everything that can well be imagined. Groceries, Dry Goods, Notions, Boots and Shoes, Hats and Caps, Agricultural Implements, Land Plasters, Fertilizers, etc. The trade lies all over this and the adjoining counties.

The present members of the firm are Messrs. H. A. Clement and T. M. Giffin. Both gentlemen are natives of the Township.

Mr. Clement is Post Master. Mr. A. W. Clement, the father, is very well known in this district, he was a Borough Commissioner, (which office he resigned thirteen years ago), President of Haddonfield National Bank, Director of the First National Bank of Camden, and formerly Post Master, occupying that office for 24 years, being an appointee of Abraham Lincoln.

C.   S.   BRADDOCK,  JR.,   DRUGGIST,  
MAIN  ST.

AMONG the oldest and best known stores in the city may be mentioned that of Mr. C. S. Braddock, Jr. This business was established by the present proprie­tor's father in 1853, and managed successfully by him until four years ago, when his son succeeded him.

The store is about 20 x 50 feet in dimensions and fitted in the best manner. The Laboratory is located in the rear.

A full line of all fresh Drugs can always be obtained here, besides a full line of Perfumery, Sachets, Sponges, and Druggists' Specialties.

Mr. Braddock is a graduate of the Philadelphia Col­lege of Pharmacy. He is Collector of the township, and an active member of the Golden Eagle. He is well known in this section, socially, politically and commercially.

WM. BRAY, CONFECTIONS, MAIN ST. 

THERE is scarcely a better known store in this sec tion than that of Mr. Wm. Bray. This genial and courteous gentleman purchased the business from Mr. H. Linker, nearly three years ago, and has since man­aged it most successfully.

The store is small, but a heavy stock is carried, comprising all kinds of Confectionery, Toys, Balls and Bats, and in fact everything to please the youngsters.

Mr. Bray is a native of Camden. He is engaged in the Shoe business, in conjunction with this one. He is, however, a well known and highly respected resident of Haddonfield.

B.   F.   FOWLER,   
GENERAL MERCHANDISE, HADDONFIELD, N. J.

AMONG the stores in this section that of Mr. B. F. Fowler takes a front rank; this gentleman opened business here nearly a score of years ago, and his business has so increased that to-day the trade is one of the largest in this section. The store occupied is about 50 feet square and fitted in the best manner and lighted by electricity.

The stock carried is large and varied, comprising a full line of Groceries, Provisions, Dry Goods, Hosiery, Notions, Hats and Caps, Boots and Shoes. A spe­cialty being made of the latter articles. Eight capable assistants are constantly employed and three teams are used to deliver orders.

Mr. Fowler is a native of this county, and he is an active member of the Masons. He is well known socially as well as commercially.

C. H. MASS, BOOTS AND SHOES, 
MAIN ST.

AMONG the most prominent houses in this section none have met with more success than Mr. C. H. Mass.    This gentleman established business here about four years ago.    The store is   about   20x20  feet  in dimensions.

The stock carried is small, the principal business being custom work and repairing, in which departments a very good trade is carried on. 

Mr Mass is a native of Philadelphia; he has been well known and highly respected here for the past eleven years. He is a thoroughly practical man in this line of business.

R. WILLARD, DRUGS,
MAIN ST.

WITHOUT a doubt the most beautiful drug store in this section is that of Mr.  R. Willard.    This Denial and courteous gentleman opened business here New Year's Day, 1883, and has since managed it in a most successful manner, store is about 20x35 feet in di­mensions; it is fitted in the most handsome  manner  possible. The laboratory is in the rear.

Here may always be found a full line of Fresh Drugs, Perfu­mery, Soaps, Sponges, Chamois and Fancy Goods.

A specialty is made of care­fully compounding physicians prescriptions.

Mr. Willard is a native of Indiana, but moved East when quj(-e a young man. He is a graduate of the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy. He is an active member of the Masons and several Beneficial Societies.

This store is the Telephone Exchange here and i the  only  drug  store  in  the  town   lit  with  electric light.                      

C. S. BRADDOCK, Sr., HARDWARE, 
RSASN STREET. 

'THE hardware trade is well represented in this neighborhood by the well known house of Mr. C. S-Braddock, Sr.   'This genial and courteous gentleman opened business here about ten years ago and has since conducted it in the most successful  manner, store proper is about 30x50 feet in dimensions fitted in the best manner. The stock carried is heavy- and varied, comprising all kinds of Hardware, Cutlery, Housefurnishing Goods, and Agricultural Implements. Special attention is paid to all small details, and all the many and multitudinous small articles in this line are to be found here. A team is employed to deliver orders.

Mr. Braddock has been a resident since 1853. He was formerly connected with the drug establishment his son now carries on. He is Treasurer of the Had-.don Mutual Association.

In addition to the foregoing there are the following: Samuel Albertson, Main st., Hardware. Martin Schlecht, Main st., Bakery. Henry Coward, Barber. E- A. Bagatter, Oysters. Thos. J. W. Westcott, Barber. Isaac Vandegrift, Harness. William Doughty, Grocer. I. Iv. Ellis, Meats. W. S. Eldridge, Grocer. John Hearn, Jeweler. Thomas S- Young, Grocer. William H. Harrison & Son, Grocers. Harry Bassart, News Dealer.

American Tern. Hotel, G. W. Stillwell, Proprietor. Charles Wingender, Pottery. Samuel R. Story, Paper Hanger. Mrs. Jacob Schlecht, Confectionery. J. Pettibone & Son, Heaters and Ranges. Fearless Vitrified Emery Wheel Company. Sterling & Bro., Meat Dealers. W. H. Clement, Furniture, etc. W. H. Fowler, Boots and Shoes.

RETURN TO 1890 HISTORICAL & INDUSTRIAL REVIEW OF CAMDEN, N.J.

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE