Streets
of
Camden, NJ

Eutaw Avenue


EUTAW AVENUE in East Camden most likely was named in connection with Eutaw Street in Baltimore MD, which has become well known since the construction of the Camden Yards baseball stadium but which has existed in Baltimore far longer than that. There also is a Eutaw Springs SC, where a Revolutionary War battle was fought, and a Eutaw AL. A look at whoever developed the tract of land where Eutaw Avenue is would probably establish the connection.

Eutaw Avenue runs from the 2600 block of Mickle Street, parallel to South 27th Street, for two blocks, ending at Berkley Street. With Grand Avenue, it is one of two streets running lengthwise within the rough triangle formed by Baird Boulevard, South 27th Street, and Marlton Avenue. At the Mickle Street end there sits only one house, 2607 Mickle Street, a farmhouse dating back to at least the 1870s, then part of the Joseph J. Hatch estate. Joseph J. Hatch was the father of Cooper B. Hatch, Mayor of Camden from 1898 to 1902, and Camden County Sheriff from 1908 to 1911. No addresses are listed in the 1924 Camden City Directory. Ten bungalows were built in the 200 block of Eutaw Avenue in 1928.

In 1950 a Eutaw Street girl, Julia Pusatere of 113 Eutaw, won the Miss East Camden beauty contest. She later married Philadelphia Eagles football team owner Leonard Tose.

Do you have a Eutaw Avenue memory or picture. Let me know by e-mail so it can be included here.

 Phil Cohen


Eutaw Avenue Photos
Eutaw Avenue

Looking East Towards
Benson & Berkley Streets

1959

Courtesy of Tom Probst

Click on Image to Enlarge


Eutaw Avenue Photos
Courtesy of Tom Probst
145 & 147
Eutaw Avenue

Christmas 1961

Courtesy of Tom Probst

Click on Image to Enlarge

152
Eutaw Avenue

Click on Image to Enlarge

 

152
Eutaw Avenue

Click on Image to Enlarge

 

Looking North
from the porch of

152
Eutaw Avenue

1969

Click on Image to Enlarge

Courtesy of Tom Probst

Outside
152
Eutaw Avenue

1959
When Cars were Cars!

Click on Image to Enlarge

Courtesy of Tom Probst

 

The Back Yard
152
Eutaw Avenue

1950s

"We all had land
to call our own" - Tom Probst

The Houses at rear of photo
were in the
100 block of South 27th Street

Click on Image to Enlarge

Courtesy of Tom Probst


We had a coal bin in the front of our house at 152 Eutaw Avenue. We bought our coal from the Pavonia Coal Company. Depending on Dad's budget, we would get one half ton or one ton delivered. Some time in the early '50s we switched to gas heat. 

Tom Probst
October 2004


Rowhouse Living - 152 Eutaw Avenue - 1959
Photos Courtesy of Tom Probst

A basement party at 152 Eutaw. Check out the case of Camden Beer deposit bottles right behind the little girl in the front!

Tom Probst before shipping out for Germany, 1959. Take a look at the glass exterior door. 1959 was a time when you could have a glass exterior door..


Eutaw Avenue
  101
Eutaw Avenue

1929 Edward Barnett

103
Eutaw Avenue

1929 George Pursglove
fire fighter

MARRIAGE LICENSES
AT ELKTON

Walter H. Hanna, 21, and Betty J. Higgins, 19, Camden

130 Eutaw Avenue

1943
Walter Hanna & Family
Walter & Elizabeth Hanna

Camden Courier-Post
February 15, 1938

132
Eutaw Avenue

Staff Sergeant
James A. Keenan

1914-1945

  137
Eutaw Avenue

1929-1930 John J. Egan

  139
Eutaw Avenue

1929 Oscar L. Dreisbach

  143
Eutaw Avenue

1960s John A. Deluca

  152
Eutaw Avenue

1950s-1960s
Tom Probst & Family 

2109 Berwick Street

1930s-1942
Edward Menzies & Family

JOHN J. EGAN

The funeral of John J. Egan, 213 Eutaw Avenue, who died yesterday, will be held at 8 a. m. Thursday at the funeral home of Joseph H. Murray and Son, 408 Cooper Street. Solemn requiem mass will be celebrated at 9 a. m. at St. Joseph's R. C. Church, Westfield Avenue and Thirtieth Street. Burial will be in Calvary Cemetery. Mr. Egan is survived by his wife, Maude M. 

213
Eutaw Avenue

John J. Egan

Camden Courier-Post
June 6, 1933

  221
Eutaw Avenue

1940s-1956 McKinley Clark Family
Kenneth M. Clark

  222
Eutaw Avenue

built in 1928
192
9 Richard J. Lynch

228 Eutaw Avenue

built in 1928
192
9-1930
George Earl Miller & Family
George E. & Grace E. Miller

Camden Courier-Post
June 3, 1932

Click on Image for Complete News Article

Jean Lukoff
Haddon Avenue
North 34th Street
Marshal H. Diverty
Eutaw Avenue

  228
Eutaw Avenue

1931 Donald B. Lee

  234
Eutaw Avenue

built in 1928
192
9-1931 Roland H. Coulborn

  240
Eutaw Avenue

built in 1928
1928-1940s
Edwin T. Mills

240
Eutaw Avenue

Earl A. Smith Sr.

246
Eutaw Avenue

built in 1928
1929-1970
Howard F. Harrington

  252
Eutaw Avenue

built in 1928
1929-1930s Donald Swissler

  258
Eutaw Avenue

built in 1928
1929-1930s
Webley J. Simpkins
1947
Joseph J. Rogers

  264
Eutaw Avenue

built in 1928
1919 Vacant


Eutaw Avenue - March 14, 2004
150 & 152
Eutaw Avenue

From Left to Right:

159, 157, 155, 153
Eutaw Avenue

100 Block
of
Eutaw Avenue

as seen from Benson  Street

100 Block
of
Eutaw Avenue

as seen from Benson  Street

100 Block
of
Eutaw Avenue

as seen from Benson  Street

100 Block
of
Eutaw Avenue

as seen from Benson  Street

100 Block
of
Eutaw Avenue

as seen from Benson  Street

100 Block
of
Eutaw Avenue

as seen from Benson  Street

100 Block
of
Eutaw Avenue

as seen from Benson  Street

200 Block
of
Eutaw Avenue

as seen from Benson  Street

200 Block
of
Eutaw Avenue

as seen from Berkley Street

200 Block
of
Eutaw Avenue

as seen from Berkley Street

200 Block
of
Eutaw Avenue

as seen from Berkley Street

200 Block
of
Eutaw Avenue

as seen from Berkley Street

Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden
Courier-Post

January 28, 1928


2607 Mickle Street
at the Intersection
of Mickle Street & Eutaw Avenue
....make a left and you are on Eutaw Avenue....

"The house on Mickle Street was owned by a builder in the 40s and 50s by the name of Jubanyik. All the kids on Eutaw Avenue used to jump the fence and play in his yard when he was not at home. We would all run like hell when he came home and chased us. We did do some minor damage to his property, but he never sought to press any charges or seek to find out who did it. It was the mansion home in the area..."

Tom Probst

Click on Image fro High Resolution View

Camden Courier-Post - June 28, 1950

Pretty Brunette Wins Queen Title In East Camden
by John D. Courter

Miss Julia Pusatere, 16, of 113 Eutaw Avenue, will reign as "Queen" over East  Camden's Fourth of Ju1y celebration at Dudley Grange park.

Miss Pusatere, a junior at Camden Catholic High School, was crowned "Queen of East Camden" in a beauty contest Tuesday night in which seven other pretty teen-age girls participated.

The contest was held in the Arlo Theater, 

Westfield Avenue near Twenty-seventh Street, under the sponsorship of the East Camden Fourth of July association.

Ex-Queen Aides Rites

The new queen was crowned by Miss Kay Worrell, of 2926 Clinton street, Queen of last years celebration. Runnersup in this year's field of beauties were Miss Patti Hill, 17, of 229 Ablett Village, who placed second, and Miss Helen Zettlemoyer, 17, of 135 North Twenty-seventh Street street, who was chosen for third place.

Judges included Miss Hilda Shivers, Courier-Post women's news editor; Don Corvelli, Audubon photographer, and Mrs. Kenneth Silliphant, of 1518 Minnesota road, Camden.

Mrs. Florence Stephan and Mrs. Eleanor Schulde were co-chairmen of the contest, while Leo Stephan  was master of ceremonies. The theatre was crowded during the choosing of the beauties.

Wins Several Awards

Miss Pusatere, a sparkling brunette, wore a white gown, combined with a bouffant skirt of starched chiffon with a bodice of satin printed in a floral design and cuffed in self fabric at the off-shoulder neckline. She wore a stole of white tulle.

She was awarded a $100 savings bond from the association; a bronze trophy from Charles Credit Jewelers; a handbag by Kotlikoff's; a string of pearls from Elwell Jewelers and a miniature cedar chest from Hurley's.

Miss Hill, a pretty blonde, wore a full skirt of tulle gathered in a ruffled effect to a strapless bodice of lace embroidered in gold and outlined by a ruffle of lace. A wide band of white ribbon created a cummerbund effect. She is a senior at Woodrow Wilson High School.

Miss Zettlemoyer, a pert brunette, appeared in a dress of pink dotted swiss, strapless bodice laced through with black velvet ribbon. She is an office worker for the J. C. Penney Co.

Runnersup Rewarded

Miss Hill and Miss Zettlemoyer each received $25 savings bonds, a bronze trophy, pearls, and a miniature cedar chest. 

Stephan opened the contest by introducing Miss Worrell who sat on the throne to watch the  contestants appear. When Miss Worrell appeared the train of her long red velvet cape was held by Jeffrey McLaughlin, 5, of 33 North Dudley Street, and Patty Letty, 5, of 67 South Twenty-ninth street.

After the judges had selected the 1950 queen, Miss Worrell doffed her cape and aided Miss  Pusatere to dress in the "royal regalia". Miss Worrell also placed the crown on the head of the new queen. 

To Ride in Parade

While Miss Pusatere will reign over the Independence Day celebration she will be presented formally in Dudley Grange Park that day at 5:30 PM. She will wear the crown and  the red velvet cape. Her aides will be Miss Hill and Miss Zettlemoyer. All will ride on a float duuring the July 4th Parade.

Other contestants included Joan Quatrelli, 17, of 139 North Thirty-Second Street; Ar1ene Gray, 16, of 113 North Twenty-seventh Street; Catherine Thompson, 19, of 2620 High Street, Rita Hockensmith, 17, of 929 North Thirty-Third Street, and Jean Wells, 19, of 318 North Fortieth Street. Each received a pearl necklace and a miniature cedar chest. They also will ride in the parade.

The queen's bouquet of roses was presented by the Bouquet Shoppe. Nosegays were presented to each of the contestants Starke's Flower Shoppe. Mrs. Stephan was given a bouquet of roses and Mrs. Schulde, of of Jackel Florists, received a handbag. Mrs. Schulde decorated the stage and prepared the queen's crown. She will also donate and decorate the float which will be used by the queen.

Stephan introduced Miss Gloria White, 18, of 3231 Carol Street, Camden, who was crowned Miss Fairview in a beauty contest June 19. Ernest I. McLaughlin, association president, invited those attending to take part in the July 4 celebration.

Charles Dubois, theatre manager, aided the committee on arrangements.


Philadelphia Fire News - December 3, 2005

Date: 12/3/2005
Time: 07:30
County: Camden
Town: Camden City
Address: 227 Eutaw Ave.
Box:
Type: Dwelling
Details:
Shortly after shift change Saturday morning , Camden Fire Units Engines 9 and 11,Tower Ladder 3, Tower Ladder 1, (FAST) Rescue 1 and Battalion 2 were dispatched to 227 Eutaw Ave for the reported dwelling fire. Engine 9 and Battalion 2 arrived to find a two-story middle of the row occupied dwelling with smoke showing and people at the windows on the 2nd floor, bringing UMDNJ EMS 12. Companies removed the occupants and located and extinguished a small fire on the second floor, no injuries reported.
Photos & Story by Steve Skipton

 

 

 

 


RETURN TO STREETS OF CAMDEN, NJ

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE