Streets
of
Camden, NJ

Wilson
Street


WILSON STREET ran west to east from 320 North 3rd Street for one block, between Linden and Penn Streets, ending at North 4th Street. Wilson Street appears in City Directories as early as 1876. The street is not listed in the 1872 City Directory.

There were two homes on Wilson Street in 1885. By 1878 there were three homes and tow other buildings. The 1906 Sanborn map shows 5 homes, numbering 301, 303, 305, 307 and 309, and the rear yard of North Baptist Church lay on Wilson Street. The North Baptist Church Library and Reading Room was located at the Northwest corner of North 4th and Wilson Street.

There were still three occupied homes on Wilson Street in 1947. Wilson Street was swallowed up in the 1960s when Rutgers began the process of acquiring all of the land that lay between North 3rd and North 5th Streets, and between Lawrence and Pearl Street. Cole Street, which lay parallel to Wilson Street between Linden and Pearl Streets, also was erased at that time. 

Do you have a Wilson Street memory or picture. Let me know by e-mail so it can be included here.

 Phil Cohen


1885 Sanborn Map of Wilson Street
 

1891 Sanborn Map of Wilson Street
 

1906 Sanborn Map of Wilson Street
 

Intersection of North 3rd Street & Wilson Street
   
   

300 Block of Wilson Street
  301 Wilson Street

1878 John Vowker

301 Wilson Street

1912
Mrs. Martha Hearn

Philadelphia Inquirer
August 17, 1912

Edward Schlereth

301 Wilson Street

1912
Mrs. Martha Hearn

Philadelphia Inquirer
August 18, 1912

Edward Schlereth
Charles A. Wolverton

  301 Wilson Street

1943 Bernard Cahill

  303 Wilson Street

1878 Joseph Nichol
1943 William R. Durr

  305 Wilson Street

1876-1878 Thomas Mooney
1878 John Roe
1943 Peter Walker 

  307 Wilson Street

1876 John Geisz
1943 No listing

  309 Wilson Street

1943 No listing

   
   

Intersection of North 4th Street & Wilson Street
   
   

RETURN TO STREETS OF CAMDEN, NJ

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE