Streets
of
Camden, NJ

Cooper Street

Unit, 100 & 200 Blocks 300 Block
400 Block 500 Block
600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1100, & 1200 Blocks
1900 & 2000 Block

COOPER STREET is one of the oldest streets in Camden, and is named after the Cooper family. William Cooper was one of the first settlers in this part of New Jersey. Camden was known as Cooper's Ferries for many years prior to the city being incorporated in 1828.

The curb line of Cooper Street, from Front Street to the tracks of the Camden & Atlantic Railroad Company, were moved twelve feet towards the center, and the street paved with Belgian blocks in 1881. In 1927 the curb lines were moved back twelve feet from 4th Street to 9th Street. This improvement was completed in September of 1927. 

Cooper Street runs from the waterfront east to 9th Street, with a short block of homes and business still standing above 11th Street. Prior to the construction of Interstate Route I-676, Cooper Street ran all the way to 12th Street. Cooper Street was for many years one of the most prestigious addresses in Camden, and many homes of historic significance, due to both the residents and the architects of said homes, were and still are on Cooper Street. 

The "beginning of the end" for Cooper Street came in the early 1920s, when three mansions were torn down to make room for the Walt Whitman Hotel. On June 30, 1940 all the homes on the south side of the 900 block were destroyed when the R.M. Hollingshead chemical factory, which occupied most of the block, fronting on 9th and on Market Streets, exploded and burned to the ground. 

Little known outside of East Camden is the "other" Cooper Street, which runs between North 19th and East State Street. This short street only has one single family home and a block of 13 row homes.

Do you have an Cooper Street memory or picture. Let me know by e-mail so it can be included here.

 Phil Cohen


Journalist Will Paul wrote an article around 1940 about growing up on Cooper Street in the 1880s. Be sure to read his Memories of Old Cooper Street.


Tom Agin and his sister Harriet Lynne Agin Stuhltrager have shared some East Camden Cooper Street memories and photos with me. Click here for a few notes about the "other" Cooper Street. 


The Victor Plant
Cooper Street, Camden N.J.
Cooper Park,
2nd & Cooper Streets
circa 1907
"The Camden factories of the Victor Talking Machine Company" The Victor Plant, 
Johnson Park in the foreground
Now known as Walt Whitman Poetry Center
Cooper Park Library - circa 1910 Cooper Park Library - circa 1912
Cooper Park Library - circa 1916

The Cooper Park Library was replaced by a large building (right). donated by Eldridge Johnson of the Victor Talking Machine Co. 

The Cooper Free Public Library

Known today as 
The Walt Whitman Poetry Center 


Unit Block of Cooper Street
10 Cooper Street

The Esterbrook Pen Company

The Esterbrook Pens Co. plant stood at Cooper Street and Delaware Avenue in Camden for several decades. Founded in 1858 in Camden by Richard Esterbrook, the plant was moved to Cherry Hill in 1964. In 1967, it became the Venus- Esterbrook company and by 1969, it closed its Cherry Hill plant. Photo circa 1920.

10 Cooper Street

The Esterbrook Pen Company

When Esterbrook Pen left Camden, the old plant was acquired by RCA. Known as RCA Building 16, it was demolished in January of 1971. 

  43 Cooper Street

Rev. William H. Burrell
1880s-1900s


The Intersection of Front & Cooper Street
1925

As Seen Looking South from Penn Street.

8 story Victor
Talking
Machine
Company
offices
is at
rear right
of i photo.
Johnson
Park
at left


100 Block of Cooper Street
Cooper Street
Looking Northeast from
Front and Cooper
1907

 Click on Image to Enlarge

Cooper Street

Johnson Park
circa 1920

 Click on Image to Enlarge

 

Cooper Street

Johnson Park

1926 Peter Pan Pagent

 Click on Image to Enlarge

The Johnson Library and park were donated to the City of Camden by Eldridge Johnson, founder and CEO of the Victor Talking Machine Company. Built between 1914 and 1930, and first opened in 1918.

Cooper Street
Looking Northeast from
Front and Cooper
April 2005

Photo by Craig Campbell

 Click on Image to Enlarge

  106
Cooper Street

1880-1890s William H. Allen

  122
Cooper Street

Dr. Samuel Harris

120-124
&
126
Cooper Street

 

126 Cooper Street

1787-1882 William Abels

128 & 130
Cooper Street
134
Cooper Street
  122 
Cooper Street

The Dorcas Society
1872

 Click on Images to Enlarge

120-124, 126, 128, 130 & 134
Cooper Street

 Click on Images to Enlarge

100-134
Cooper Street

Victor Talking Machine Company Factory
about 1920

 Click on Images to Enlarge

Northwest Corner
of
Front
&
Cooper Street

Victor Talking Machine Company Offices
about 1920


200 Block of Cooper Street
Cooper Street
Looking East from N 2nd Street

1st house on right: 210 Cooper
1st House on left: 215 Cooper

 Click on Images to Enlarge

200-230
Cooper Street

February 7, 2004
Click on Image to Enlarge

200
Cooper Street

The Edward Sharp House

Click on Images to Enlarge

200
Cooper Street

The Edward Sharp House

Click on Images to Enlarge

200
Cooper Street

The Edward Sharp House

Click on Images to Enlarge

200
Cooper Street

The Edward Sharp House

Click on Images to Enlarge

200
Cooper Street

The Edward Sharp House

Click on Images to Enlarge

AUTOIST HELD IN CRASH AS LICENSELESS DRIVER

Charged with driving without a li cense, Arthur Benjamin, 28, of 430 Liberty Street, was held in $10 security for a police court hearing following a collision at Twenty-third and High Streets shortly after noon yesterday, One man was cut on the head and legs. 

Policeman James Banks made the arrest after Benjamin's car struck and overturned the machine of C.R. Finney, 62, of 201 Cooper Street. Finney was treated by Dr. A. Lincoln Sherk. Benjamin was ordered to appear before Judge Garfield Pancoast June 29. 

201
Cooper Street

1933 C.R. Finney

Camden Courier-Post
June 23, 1933

  201
Cooper Street
1933 Turin Grotto
mid-late 1930's
John Lynch Saloon
1947 Palace Restaurant
204 & 206
Cooper Street

February 7, 2004

Click on Image to Enlarge

RIGHT: 204 Cooper Street was the home of the College of South Jersey Law School in 1947, the predecessor to Rutgers Law School

LEFT: Henry S. Ford lived at 206 Cooper Street in the 1930s and 1940s

  205
Cooper Street

Richard Pancoast
1880s-1900s

  207
Cooper Street
  209
Cooper Street

Womans Club of Camden
1896-1901

210
Cooper Street

February 7, 2004

Charlotte C. French
1920s-1930s

Click on Image to Enlarge

 

210
Cooper Street

Charlotte C. French
1920s-1930s

Click on Image to Enlarge

  212
Cooper Street
  214
Cooper Street

1900s-1910s
Captain John B. Adams & Family
John B. & Phoebe Adams
Clarence Adams

  214
Cooper Street

George W. Jessup
1920s-1932

  215
Cooper Street
215
Cooper Street

1890s-1920s
Dr. Dowling Benjamin
& Family
Dr. Dowling & Sarah Benjamin
Sarah Benjamin
Ada Benjamin
Helen Benjamin

  217
Cooper Street
220
Cooper Street

Samuel Smith
Ice
1890s

218-222
Cooper Street

The Chalcar Apartments

1925

Byron Edwards & Alfred Green
Architects
Edward A. "Dick" Malan
1940s-1950

Click on Image to Enlarge

 

218-222
Cooper Street

The Chalcar Apartments

Edward A. "Dick" Malan
1940s-1950

Click on Image to Enlarge

  218-222
Cooper Street

The Chalcar Apartments

1955
Manchester
Laundry & Dry Cleaning Co., Inc.
220 Cooper Street

1955 New Jersey Bell Telephone
Yellow Pages Listing

218-222
Cooper Street

The Chalcar Apartments

February 7, 2004

Byron Edwards & Alfred Green

Click on Image to Enlarge

224 & 218-222
Cooper Street
February 7, 2004

Click on Image to Enlarge

  223
Cooper Street
224
Cooper Street
February 7, 2004

Click on Image to Enlarge

 

228 & 224
Cooper Street
February 7, 2004

Click on Image to Enlarge

  227
Cooper Street
228
Cooper Street
February 7, 2004

1877-1888 Nathan F. Cowan Family
Nathan & Sallie Ann Cowan
William Cowan
Edgar Cowan
Herbert Cowan

Click on Image to Enlarge

  229
Cooper Street
  230
Cooper Street
232
Cooper Street

1910s-1920s
Frank J. Hineline

  232
Cooper Street

1910s-1920s
Ludwig Kind
1910s-1920s
Charles H. Greer
1910s-1920s
William MacFarland
1910s
Philip Wilson


The Helene Apartments
at 125 North 3rd Street & 232 Cooper Street
Southwest Corner of North 3rd & Cooper Streets

Cooper Street, East of North 3rd Street - 1925
 

MORE OF COOPER STREET
Cooper Street East of Third Street
- Continued -

RETURN TO STREETS OF CAMDEN, NJ

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE