Streets
of
Camden, NJ

Coates Alley
aka
Coates Avenue


COATES ALLEY was originally a two block street that ran parallel to Broadway and South 5th Street from Cherry Street north Spruce Street to Division Street, where it ends. Today Coates Alley is only one block long, running from Spruce Street to Division Street.

Coates Alley is sometimes confused with Coates Avenue, originally known as Daubman Alley, which was a one block street that ran parallel to Broadway and South 5th Street from 510 Cherry Street south to 512 Walnut Street. The two similarly named throughways do not, however, line up and are, or rather were, distinct and separate streets. A similar circumstance existed for a time when Welsh Street, sometimes referred to as Welch Street, another non-contiguous street that ran from Division Street north to Pine Street was sometimes referred to as Coates Avenue. 

Adding to the confusion was the existence of Coates Court, a short alley that ran north from 313 Division Street for about half a block before it dead-ended. Coates Court had three dwellings on it, with at least on occupied as late as the 1931. By 1940 these were no longer listed in City Directories, although Coates Court itself was still being mentioned as late as 1947.

Coates Avenue was possibly named for Camden businessman John Coates, who parleyed a bricklaying business into real estate and investments, and was one of Camden's wealthiest men when he passed in 1903. Daubman Alley appears to have been named after Jacob C. Daubman, who was Sheriff of Camden County from 1874 to 1878 and who was prominent in real estate and other civic affairs.

No addresses using Daubman Alley as an address seem to have appeared in Camden City Directories. A building is shown in the 1906 Sanborn Map with addresses of 510-1/2 and 510-1/3 Cherry Street, which appear to have been previously used by the W. H. Wilkins & Company, who engaged in a lumber and mill work business at 513-515-517 Cherry Street and who also utilized a property building across the street at 506-510 Cherry Street.

As early as 1904 Daubman Alley was used to make deliveries to the rear of 933-935 Broadway, the site of the N. Fuhrman Company furniture store, which operated there as late as 1945. The N. Fuhrman Company built a storage warehouse on the west side of Coates Avenue (Daubman Alley) at some point after 1906. The Red, White & Blue Thrift Store operated in the N. Fuhrman Company's Broadway building and utilized Coates Avenue into the early 1980s.

Do you have a Coates Avenue aka Daubman's Alley memory or picture? Let me know by e-mail so it can be included here.

 Phil Cohen


Coates Avenue
(present-day Coates Alley)
&
Welsh Street

 1885 Sanborn Map

The rest of Coates Alley
was not depicted in the 1885 Map


Coates Avenue (present-day Coates Alley) - 1891 Sanborn Map
The blocks where present-day Coates Avenue, then known as Daubman Alley, were not depicted in the 1891 Map. Coates Alley, then known as Coates Avenue, was shown.

800 Block of Welsh Street & Coates Alley
1906 Sanborn Map
800 Block of Coates Alley * 1906 Sanborn Map

900 Block of Coates Alley - 1906 Sanborn Map

Intersection of Coates Alley & Division Street
Click on Image to Enlarge

 
   
   
   
   
   
   

 800 Block of Coates Avenue
Click on Image to Enlarge

   828 Coates Alley

1906

   829 Coates Alley

1906

   830 Coates Alley

1906

   831 Coates Alley

1906

   832 Coates Alley

1906

   834 Coates Alley

1906

   

Intersection of Coates Alley & Spruce Street
Click on Image to Enlarge

Looking North
on Coates Alley
From Spruce Street
March 19, 2014
Looking North on Coates Alley From Spruce Street - March 19, 2014
Looking South on Coates Alley From Spruce Street - March 19, 2014
Looking South on Coates Alley From Spruce Street - March 19, 2014
Looking South on Coates Alley From Spruce Street - March 19, 2014
   

 900 Block of Coates Avenue
Click on Image to Enlarge

   902 Coates Alley

1906

   904 Coates Alley

1906

 906 Coates Alley

190
Adolph Walker & Family
Adolph & Anna Walker

Philadelphia Inquirer
November 2, 1908

Elisha Gravenor
Arthur Stanley
Charles Matlack
Spruce Street

   
   
   
   

Intersection of Coates Alley & Cherry Street
Click on Image to Enlarge

   
Northwest Corner

1885-1896
513-515-517 Cherry Street

W.H. Wilkins & Company
lumber & millwork

1897
James F. Davis
lumber & millwork

  Northwest Corner

1899-1914
505-517 Cherry Street

William S. Avis
stables

1915-1921
James D. Freeston
Stables

  Northwest Corner

1924
507 Cherry Street

U.S. Postal service
garage

Looking North on Coates Alley From Cherry Street - March 19, 2014
Looking North on Coates Alley From Cherry Street - March 19, 2014
   

RETURN TO STREETS OF CAMDEN, NJ

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE