Streets
of
Camden, NJ

Seventeenth
Street


SEVENTEENTH STREET runs from Harrison Avenue to River Avenue in  what was originally called the Pavonia section of what is now considered Cramer Hill. All addresses here are North 17th Street. There is also a South 17th Street that runs from Federal Street in East Camden south across Carman Street and onward to Admiral Wilson Boulevard.  

Do you have an Seventeenth Street memory or picture? Let me know by e-mail so it can be included here.

 Phil Cohen


 Cramer Hill & East Camden -1915

Click on Image to Enlarge


Looking West
from over
North 24th Street
&
Howell Street

Click Here for
 Supersized Image 1

Click Here for
Supersized Image 2


Intersection Harrison Avenue & North 18th Street

   
   

1100 Block of North 17th Street

  1125 North 17th Street

1947 Clair W. Kline

  1120 North 18th Street

1924
1929

1930s-1947 
William H. Kirk Sr. & Family
William H. & Nellie A. Kirk
Adelbert J. "Duke" Kirk

  1117 North 17th Street

1924
1929
1947 Charles M. Goeltz

  1113 North 18th Street

1924
1929
1947 Mrs. Croline Hopkins

1113 North 18th Street

1956-1959
William E. Jaeckel

  1106 North 17th Street

1924
1929
1947 Joseoh L. Mikus

  1104 North 18th Street

1924 
1929 
1947 Stephen Augustine


Intersection Wayne Avenue & North 18th Street

   
   

Intersection River Road & North 18th Street

   
   

Intersection Federal Street & South 17th Street

   
   

Unit Block of South 17th Street
   
   

Intersection of 17th Street & Carman Street in East Camden
1600 Block of Carman Street

The Soap Works

as seen from the Southeast corner of
South 17th & Carman Streets

The brick factory on right belonged to the Iowa Soap Company in the 1930s and 1940s. 

Left: A bar of Protex Toilet Soap, in original wrap & box. Protex Soap was made by Iowa Soap Company, who had factories in Burlington, Iowa & Camden, NJ. 

The box reads: "The Ideal Family Toilet Soap" and "Clean hands and a clean body are essential to good health. A daily bath with Protex will keep the body sweet, removing body odors and affording protection against the odor of perspiration from all sources. True cleanliness promotes and protects the Health!"

Carman & South 17th
Street

Looking Northwest on
South 17th towards Federal Street

The building was later acquired by Concord Chemical Corp. who moved their operations there from 205 South 2nd Street at some point after 1959.

Carman & South 17th
Street

as seen from the Northwest corner of
South 17th & Carman Streets

Carman & South 17th
Street

100 South 17th Street, once headquarters of Goodwill Industries of Southern New Jersey, presently John Allebach Food Service Inc.

Carman Street

Looking
East from 17th Street

Carman Street

Looking
East from 17th Street

March 2004

Click on Image to Enlarge


Intersection of Mickle Street & South 17th Street
   
   

Intersection of Admiral Wilson Boulevard & South 17th Street
   
   



RETURN TO STREETS OF CAMDEN, NJ

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE