Berkley & William Streets


The following is derived from
George Reeser Prowell's
History of Camden County, New Jersey
published in 1886

ZION CHURCH, on the corner of Berkley and William Street, is a branch of the Evangelical Association of North America. The Camden congregation originated in 1854, when the Rev. Andrew Ziegenfus, a minister of the Evangelical Association of Southwark. Mission, Philadelphia, came to Camden to officiate at the first meeting of this denomination held in this city, at the house of Mrs. Louise Mousche, and for a number of years services were held in her house, and in the little church on Line Street, above Fourth. During these years a number of ministers served the congregation, among whom were the Rev. Adam Hinkle, Christian Meyers, Mr. Shimer, R. Deyshur, Henry Stetzel, Daniel Yengst, Henry Early, Nicholas Gabal, A.S. Steltz, Joseph Steltzer and C. Philibar.

Under the ministration of the last two pastors the present church was built during the year 1878. It is a one-story brick building, forty by sixty-five feet, with a large auditorium and a gallery. The dedicatory services were performed by Bishop Reuben Dubs, of Cleveland, 0. The pastors who have since served the congregagation were C. Philibar, Antony Straub, C.B. Fliehr, A.S. Steltz, G. Redman, O. Arnold and George Hauser. The Sunday school, which was organized when the religious meetings were in­augurated, had greatly increased in membership when this church was dedicated, having sixty regular attendants, with Henry Daman as superintendent. At present (1886) there are about one hundred pupils and teachers, and Solomon Fliehr is the superintendent. The church membership is sixty-five communicants. This congregation is one of the missions of the Atlantic Conference, which is an exclusively German Conference, having its work in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland and in several sea-board cities., The Evangelical Association has at this present time twenty-four Conferences, which are located in the United States, Canada, Germany, and Switzerland, as also a prosperous mission in Japan.


The building at Berkley and William Street had been sold to William C. Davis and was being used as part of his bakery by 1906. It was destroyed by fire in 1912.

Camden Post-Telegram * December 16, 1912

George Boone  - Roy A. Smith
Daniel M. Stevens - George Leathwhite
George Pine - John Barnett
William C. Davis - John J. Welsh
Adam Urbin -
Zion Church
Berkley Street - William Street