CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

SECOND BAPTIST CHURCH

 

The following is derived from
George Reeser Prowell's
History of Camden County, New Jersey
published in 1886

THE SECOND BAPTIST CHURCH was constituted in 1848 with forty-six constituent members, mostly from the First Baptist Church, Camden. Thomas Shields and Joseph Matlack were the first deacons. The church built a two-story brick meeting-house on the southeast corner of Fourth and Division Streets, which they sold, in 1867, to the Roman Catholic Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, and erected a meeting-house on the southwest corner of Fourth and Mount Vernon, of brick, two stories high and costing, with ground, eighteen thousand dollars. This they still occupy. When the location was changed, in 1867, a large number of the members, including the pastor, Mark R. Watkinson, withdrew and formed the Broadway Baptist Church. The membership now numbers one hundred and thirty.   These have been pastors,  Matthew M. Semple, M.D., Thomas C. Trotter, Alexander Clark, Thomas Goodwill, Francis Cailhopper, John C. Hyde, Mark R. Watkinson, Charles W. Deitz, Samuel Hughes, William W, Dalbey, Matthew M. Finch, Frank B. Rose (supply), William Lawrence, John D. Flansburg. 

 
 

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE