106 North Seventh Street
Northeast Corner of North Seventh & Market Streets

The following is derived from
George Reeser Prowell's
History of Camden County, New Jersey
published in 1886

Prior to the year 1879 no English Lutheran congregation existed in Camden. At the fall meeting of the First District Conference of the Pennsylvania Synod, a committee was appointed to canvass the city for Lutherans. Several meetings of interested persons were held at the residence of George Shimer, No. 503 Linden Street, the outcome of which was the organization of a congregation under the name of "Epiphany Evangelical Lutheran Church." The first service of the congregation was held Sunday evening, November 23, 1879, in Reed's Hall, at the corner of Third and Federal Streets. Rev. William Schaeffer of Philadelphia, conducted the worship and preached the sermon. He had charge of the mission from that time until the close of the following summer. He was succeeded by Mr. S.L. Sibole, then a student in the Philadelphia Seminary. In June, 1881, this gentleman was ordained and regularly installed as the first pastor of the new congregation. He served the mission until October, 1882, when he resigned to accept a call to St. Luke's Church, Philadelphia. For four months the pulpit was vacant, when Mr. Clarence K. Binder, of the senior class of the Theological Seminary assumed charge, and was installed pastor June 10, 1883.

   Under Rev. Binder's pastorate the congregation has been steadily advancing. A fine building lot has been secured at the corner of Seventh Street and Market, and it is the intention of the congregation to erect a handsome chapel.

The congregation hold services at present in the commodious hall at the southwest corner of Third Street and Market. The membership is about one hundred. A Sunday school has been connected with the congregation since its formation. It was organized with eight pupils, which number has gradually increased until at the present time (1886) there are over two hundred. The school is under the care of the pastor as superintendent, and George Boyer as assistant.


Holy Week -1932
from the Camden Courier-Post - March 19, 1932

In 1887 a new church was built at 106 North 7th Street


Reverend Paul C. Weber

After leading a church in Savannah, Georgia, Pennsylvania-born Reverend Weber came to Camden in the early 1920s, where he ministered  through at least 1959.


1929 Christmas Pageant - "The Prophet's Star" 

Click on Image to Enlarge

1930s-1940s Church Elders
Click on Image to Enlarge

Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Unknown  - Walter A. Boyer - Unkown

Click on Image to Enlarge

Click on Image to Enlarge

Click on Image to Enlarge

Click on Image to Enlarge

Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden Courier-Post
January 14, 1928


Camden Courier-Post - March 19, 1932

Holy Week -1932
from the Camden Courier-Post - March 19, 1932

Camden Courier-Post - June 10, 1933


Rev. Paul C. Weber, pastor of Epiphany Lutheran Church, Seventh and Market Streets, will present at 11 a. m. tomorrow the outstanding features of the 186th convention of the Lutheran Ministerium of Pennsylvania and adjacent states which was held this week at Bethlehem, Pa. The sacrament of infant baptism wil1 be administered. 
At 7.30 p. m. the Bible School will present a children's day pagea.nt, "All Things Bright and Beautiful."

Camden Courier-Post - June 12, 1933

Miss Avery Is Bride At Church Ceremony

Miss Evelyn Jeanette Avery's marriage to Howard D. Summerfield on Saturday was one of the interesting church weddings of June. The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Avery of 904 North Fourth Street, and the bridegroom a son of Mr. and Mrs. A. D. Summerfield, of 318 Byron Street, this city. 

The seven o'clock ceremony took place in the Epiphany Lutheran Church, Seventh and Market Streets, with the pastor of the church, Rev. Paul C. Weber officiating. Merrill Hallowell will play the wedding march and accompany Mrs. Lois Bausman in vocal numbers. 

Mr. Avery gave his daughter in marriage. She wore a white crepe gown made en train, a lace jacket made with leg o'mutton sleeves. A tulle veil, cap fashion, was caught with orange blossoms. Her flowers were bride roses, lilies of the valley and baby breath. 
Miss Ruth Shaw of this city, was maid of honor and the bridesmaids were Miss Ruth Avery, Miss Florence Summerfield, sisters of the bride and bridegroom, and Miss Helen Hobson, all of Camden. Miss Shaw was gowned in blue point de sprit, pink picture hat and pink shoes. Miss Avery wore pink point de sprit with blue accessories, Miss Summerfield, green point de sprit with yellow accessories and Miss Hobson yellow with green accessories. Each attendant carried a bouquet of Spring flowers. The bride's small sister, Jean Avery, as flower girl wore a frock of white georgette and taffeta. She carried pink sweet peas and baby breath, 

William McKinney, of Gloucester Heights, attended the bridegroom as best man and ushers were Milton Avery, Charles Kendall and George Hand, of Camden. Mrs. Avery, the bride's mother, appeared in blue triple sheer crepe and Mrs. Summerfield in maize silk crepe. 

On their return from a motor tour of New England, Mr. and Mrs. Summerfield will receive, after July, at 2234 Thirty-seventh street, Pennsauken. Both the bride and bridegroom are graduates of Camden High School.

As of 2006 the former Epiphany Evangelical Lutheran Church building was being used by the Mt. Calvary Church of God in Christ

Click on Image to Enlarge