CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

CENTENARY METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
aka
Centenary-Tabernacle Methodist Episcopal Church 

115 North 5th Street
Southwest Corner of North 5th and Cooper Streets

Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church was organized March 29, 1866. Services were first held in Odd Fellows Hall at 4th and Market Streets until completion of the Chapel, dedicated October 11, 1868. The chapel, which can be seen at the left in the photograph below, was designed by John Frazier of Philadelphia.

Construction had begun in 1892 on the building which is known to this day as Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church at 5th and Cooper Streets. The church was dedicated on September 24, 1893. Designed by architect Frank R. Watson, the church was built adjacent to the chapel which had been erected in 1868. The main auditorium seats about 750 in an amphitheatre style. This is a dark sandstone building, the stone being Trenton brownstone. 

In June of 1924 the Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church and the Tabernacle Methodist Episcopal Church consolidated in June of 1924 under the name Centenary-Tabernacle Methodist Episcopal Church, using the edifice at 5th and Cooper Streets. 

In the 1930s, the church maintained a parsonage at 409 Penn Street.

Among the prominent citizens who were members of Centenary and Centenary-Tabernacle Methodist Episcopal Church were real estate developer John W.F. Bleakly, builder William C. Aitken, Dr. William H. Ireland, and Dr. James E. Bryan, superintendent of Camden's public schools from 1899 through 1931. 

Another church member, Richard Knight Aitken, the grandson of William C. Aitken, died while serving with the United States Army during World War II.

Centenary
Methodist Episcopal Church

as seen from Northeast Corner
of North 5th & Cooper Street

Cooper Street, Looking East from 4th Street
Centenary ME Church is in background

Cooper Street, Looking West from 6th Street
Centenary ME Church is in background

Philadelphia Inquirer - June 22, 1896
Rev. A.G. Lawson  - Rev. J.W. Marshall
Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church - North Baptist Church 

Philadelphia Inquirer- September 18, 1911
Rev. George H. Humason

Click on Image for Complete Article

Camden Courier-Post
January 28, 1928

Dr. Alexander Corson
D. Irving Taylor
Lewis A. Shearer
Paul Grant
Jams H. Hewett

Camden Courier-Post
May 4, 1930

Reverend John Pemberton
Bertha Hickey

Holy Week -1932
from the Camden Courier-Post - March 19, 1932

Camden Courier-Post - June 10, 1933

Moss-Simmons Wedding to Be Held Tonight

Miss Virginia Foulds Simmons will become the bride of Eric Leonard Moss of this city, at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Simmons, of 27 North Thirty-fifth Street, this evening. Mr. Moss is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Moss of Jamaica, W.I.

Rev. John Pemberton, Jr., pastor of Centenary-Tabernacle Church, of this city, will perform the ceremony, which will take place at seven-thirty o'clock. The wedding march will be played by Howard Tussey. 

The bride, who will be given in marriage by her father, has selected a gown of white satin trimmed in lace and beaded. Her veil is of tulle and she will carry roses, sweet peas and baby's breath. 

There will be two attendants, Miss Mary Hicks and. Miss Elizabeth Jump, both of this city. Miss Hicks, as maid of honor, will wear a frock of yellow organdie with matching accessories. Miss Jump, as bride's-maid, will wear a similar costume in a peculiar green shade. They will carry bouquets of mixed Spring flowers. Stuart Smith of Camden will be best man. 

After July 1, Mr. Moss and his bride will be at home in the Bellevue Apartments, Bellevue Terrace and Haddon Avenue, Collingswood. 

Camden Courier-Post - June 29, 1933

Soroptimists to Hold Informal Weekly Luncheons

Although the Camden Soroptimist Club will hold no regular meeting until September, members will gather each Monday for luncheon in the club rooms of the Hotel Walt Whitmann.

These informal get-togethers were begun last Summer and proved such a success that they are being repeated this season.

Mrs. Mary A. Koch is the president, of the club composed of business and professional women of Camden and vicinity.

A picnic supper in the basement of Centenary-Tabernacle M. E. Church, this week, for the Girl Scouts of Camden Troop No. 28, was the final social event on the calendar.

Mrs. Clara Anthony, a member of the club; who is captain of the troop, arranged the affair.

At this time, the annual awards were made to the scouts. Miss Betty Starliper and Miss Isabel McMorrow were presented with gold stars for perfect attendance and Miss Joyce Smith and Miss Sarah Molotsky, silver stars for 90 percent attendance. A medal for good behavior was won by Miss Betty Jones and for neatness, by Miss Marguerite Heritage. Honorable mention for neatness was given Miss Virginia Hahn and Miss Ruth Elaine Sharp.

Centenary-Tabernacle Shore Excursion
Undated photo - 1930s by hair & dress styles
Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden Courier-Post - October 29, 1935

George Anderson To Wed Mary Ferat In Camden Church

The marriage of Miss Mary Eloise Ferat, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward C. Ferat, of 1476 Kaighn avenue, and George Henry Anderson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Anderson, of 496 Newton avenue, will take place this evening in the Centenary-Tabernacle Church, Fifth and Cooper streets.

The ceremony will be performed at seven o'clock by Rev. John Pemberton, Jr., pastor of the church.  Grant Harden, of this city, will play the wedding march and accompany Mrs. Vernon Jorgenson, of  Philadelphia, in vocal solos.

The bride will be given in marriage by her father. She will wear a lovely gown of ivory-toned wedding ring velvet made entrain. Her veil of ivory toned tulle falls from a coronet and she will carry a shower bouquet of chrysanthemums.

Mrs. John Bachman, of Harrisburg, Pa., will be her cousin's matron of honor while Miss Margaret  Jones, of Merchantville, will be maid of honor and Mrs. George A. Restrick and Miss Anne  Anderson, sister of the bridegroom, both of Camden, will be bridesmaids. They will wear velvet gowns with matching accessories, Mrs. Bachman in sapphire blue and carrying maize chrysanthemums; Miss  Jones in rust and carrying bronze chrysanthemums and the bridesmaids in emerald green and carrying  orchid chrysanthemums. Mary Ann Tweedy, of this city, as flower, girl will wear a frock of yellow  pleated net and carry a basket of baby chrysanthemums.

Mr. Anderson will be best man for his son and ushers will include: Solomon Walls, of Dover, Del.,  uncle of the bridegroom; John Bachman, of Harrisburg, and George Restrick, of this city.

Mrs. Ferat will be gowned in wine colored velvet and wear a corsage of gardenias, while Mrs.  Anderson will wear sapphire blue velvet with gardenias.

A reception will be held at the Hotel Walt Whitman, which also will be in observance of the silver  wedding anniversary of the bride's parents. Following, Mr. Anderson and his bride will leave on a tour  of the Southern States. They will be at home after November 15, at the Kaighn avenue address..

Camden Courier-Post - February 3, 1938

MINSTREL ARRANGED BY CHURCH PLAYERS

The minstrel troupe of the Centenary Tabernacle M. E. Church will present a show at 8 o'clock tonight at the H. B. Wilson School, Ninth street and Woodland avenue, under sponsorship of the P. T. A.

Camden Courier-Post
July 26, 1941

Centenary-Tabernacle Methodist Church
Rev. Elwood A. Harrar
Rev. Carlton R. Van Hook

Cooper Street

Centenary
Methodist Episcopal Church

as seen from Northeast Corner
of North 5th & Lawrence Street

Centenary
Methodist Episcopal Church

as seen from Northwest Corner
of North 4th & Cooper Street

February 7, 2004

Click on Image to Enlarge

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE