CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
BROADWAY BAPTIST CHURCH
following is derived from
BROADWAY BAPTIST CHURCH located at Broadway
and Cherry Street and was constituted in April, 1867, by Rev. Mark R.
Watkinson, the pastor, and forty-seven members of the Second Baptist
Church, who, withdrawing there from, formed the new church, with John B.
Stygale, John Osier and Augustus M. Crissy, deacons. The ground on Broadway, below
Spruce, was obtained, and on the
St. John Street front
was erected a brick building, in which the society worshipped until
1870, when a atone meeting-house was built on the Broadway
end of the
lot, at a cost of nearly eighteen thousand dollars.
The pastors who served this church were Revs. Mark R. Watkinson,
E. Evered Jones, Charles Johnson, Andrew J. Hay, E. Dallas Stagers.
October, 1877, the church disbanded, and the pastor, Rev. E. D. Stagers,
with thirty-six of the members, united and constituted the Tabernacle
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE