CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
943 Cooper Street
following is derived from
9, 1881, in response to a call, about twenty persons assembled in the
basement of a one-story building situated on the south side of Federal
Street, near the railroad, and organized as the "Third Street
Mission." The first board of officers was composed of Lewis R.
Wheaton, Asa R. Cox and Charles Wentzell.
The teachers appointed were Robert Miller and A. Busby. The
accommodations at this place were very meager, a few wooden benches
without backs, a small number of Bibles and reading-books, but the
untiring efforts of the members of this mission were rewarded by the
attendance of a large number of scholars and capable teachers. In 1882.
the mission removed to a room on Ninth Street. It soon became necessary
to remove to a larger room or hall. The committee secured the old
store-house on Federal
Street, near the railroad, at a rental of eight
dollars per month, and fitted it up for services and Sunday school
purposes. This change was beneficial and successful to the mission and
also to the school, and gave assured indications of establishing a
church. . On June 11, 1884, the members who had attended these services
separated from the Third Street Church and were organized into a church
by Rev. J. B.
Graw, D.D., and took the name of Bethany, which was
suggested by Mrs. S. Moslander, who had taken an active interest in the
welfare of the mission, and is at present a prominent member of the
church. The Rev. J. D. Sleeper had been assigned to the Camden mission,
and it was believed that other missions would unite with them and make a
fair charge, but this could not be done, and in consequence he devoted
all his time to this new church. In 1885 Rev. E. C. Hults was sent to
look after the interests of Bethany, and before the close of the year a
season of religious revival added a large number to the membership of
the church. In 1886 Rev. R. Harris was assigned to this charge. A lot,
at the corner of Tenth Street and Cooper
Street was secured and a neat
one-story building erected in 1886. The church membership in one
hundred and fifty and the Sunday school has one hundred and twenty-five
scholars, under the care of E. Butler as superintendent.
Additional Notes by Phillip Cohen
Bethany Methodist Episcopal Church was still active and opened as late as 1947.
Philadelphia Inquirer- June 22, 1896
M.E. Church - Wiley M.E.
Church - First
Union American M.E. Church - Bethany M.E. Church
First Baptist Church - First Presbyterian Church
Philadelphia Inquirer- August 7, 1911
M.E. Church - Bethany
Tabernacle Baptist Church - North Baptist Church
Camden Courier-Post * April 15, 1950
Methodist Episcopal Church
Centenary-Tabernacle Baptist Church
State Street Methodist Episcopal Church
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE