CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

PRKSIDE THEATER
1191 Haddon Avenue

Camden entrepreneur Charles Kaufmann built the Parkside Theater, which had opened by 1914 at 1187 Haddon Avenue. By 1918 a new building had gone up, at 1191-1193 Haddon Avenue. Through 1926 it was known as the Forest Hill Theater. The 1926 City Directory shows Robert North of Haddon Heights as manager. By the time the 1927 Directory was compiled, the theater had been renamed. Ralph M. Hodgens of 1468 Kaighn Avenue was the manager. The 1928 City Directory shows William D. Gersman of 1050 Langham Avenue, managing the theater.

The Parkside remained open into the early 1960s. By 1967 the theater had closed, and there is no occupant listed in the 1970 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory. In the early 1970s the building was acquired by the Church of God and Saints in Christ Tabernacle No. 2, under the direction of Rev. R.L. Greene. This denomination is still utilizing the building as of 2013.

1940

1967

Camden
Courier-Post

March 19, 1932

James Dunn
Sally EIlers
Dance team
Jackie Coogan
Huckleberry Finn

Camden
Courier-Post

June 3, 1933

Pick-up

George Raft
Sylvia Sidney
Buster Crabbe
King of the Jungle

Camden
Courier-Post

June 7, 1933

Warren William
Employees Entrance

Camden Courier-Post

October 3, 1936

Jack Holt
Crash DOnovan
Ann Shirley
M'Liss
Bing Crosby
Rhythm on the Range
Major Bowes
Amateur on Parade

Camden Courier-Post * February 10, 1938
Thrill of a Lifetime
Dorothy Lamour - Yacht Club Boys - Betty Grable

Camden High School
Purple & Gold Yearbook Ad
February 1940

Camden Courier-Post

February 1942

Bing Crosby - Birth of the Blues
Liberty Theater
This Woman is Mine - Hit The Road

Camden Courier-Post

June 10, 1960

CAMDEN Movie theaters

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE