CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
629 Ferry Avenue
In the mid 1960s the bar at 629 Ferry Avenue that for many years had been known as the Central Cafe was sold and re-opened under the name Payton's Place.
The 1947 Camden City Directory shows the Central Cafe at 629 Ferry Avenue as being owned by Samuel Wasiluk. Sam Wasiluk came to America from Russian Poland in 1910. By 1920 he was living at 668 Tulip Street and working as a riveter at the New York Shipbuilding Corporation shipyard. By 1930 he had moved to 1057 Central Avenue, the corner of Central and Tioga Street, and was operating a grocery store. When Prohibition was repealed in 1933, Samuel Wasiluk established a bar at 1057 Central Avenue. He had acquired the 629 Ferry Avenue bar by 1946. The 1947 City Directory shows both bars as being called the Central Cafe. The Tioga street property has been known since the 1950s as the Tioga Tavern. Sam Wasiluk passed away in Rio Grande NJ in January of 1970.
By 1954 629 Ferry Avenue was called Cindy's Central Cafe. The 1966 Bell Telephone Directory shows the bar as Payton's Place. In 1967 Flash Wilson, who was still working in bars as late as 1999, was managing the business. At some point in the years after that, the bar was renamed Tee's Cafe.
By the early 1990s Tee's Cafe shut its doors. Although the sign remains, today the building is a private residence.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE