CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
1819 Broadway received its first liquor license in 1884, Martin J. Ewe (1837-1911) was the proprietor in the years 1887-1891, according to the City Directories of those years. 1819 Broadway was operated as a saloon until the Prohibition became the law of the land in 1919. The bar was called the Emerson House in the years leading up to Prohibition, and was operated by Chris Waldenmaier. After Prohibition was repealed in 1933, Edward J. Whalen acquired the property, and he was granted a liquor license, over the protests of the the pastor of nearby Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church in May of 1934.
The bar was known as Zippilli's Cafe in 1947, and is listed as Sam's Tavern in the 1959 Bell Telephone directory. Around June of 1960 the bar at 1819 Broadway changed hands, and had it's "grand gala opening" went under the name of Paul's Tavern, and it was known as Paul's into the late 1970s, with a liquor store next door at 1817 Broadway. The 1977 New Jersey Bell directory shows 1819 Broadway as Paul's Liquor Store.
The building at 1819 Broadway is still standing, although it has not operated as a tavern for many years. At some point the property was remodeled, and was subdivided into apartments.
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE