CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
JOSEPH RAGAN'S SALOON
697 Sylvan Street
Licensed in 1934 after the repeal of Prohibition, this bar was located at 697 Sylvan Street. It was not far from the New York Shipbuilding Corporation shipyards, and many shipyard workers patronized the establishment. Joseph A. Ragan operated the bar in the 1930s.
Joseph Ragan was born August 1, 1888 in Pennsylvania. At the time of the 1920 census he worked as welder at one of Camden's shipyards. He had moved to Oaklyn by April of 1930. Joseph Ragan became involved in the bar business in the mid-1930s. He had sold the bar sometime after 1940. By 1947 he moved to 405 Penn Street. He was then working as a dispatcher according to the 1947 City Directory. He was still living on Penn Street as late as 1959. Joseph Ragan passed away in June of 1965.
Frank & Stella Bil operated the bar as the Village Cafe from the mid-1940s through the early 1970s.
Both sides of the 600 block of Sylvan were razed many years ago. No sign of the Ragan's Saloon is visible today.
Shipyard Workers Ball
January 27, 1939
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE