CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

CLUB LIDO
1418 Broadway

The Cafe Lido opened up shortly after the 1934 repeal of Prohibition. A 1935 newspaper article lists the bar at Broadway and Liberty, and refer to it as the Cafe Lido. In October of 1936 Gus DeLuca became the proprietor of the establishment, and renamed it Club Lido. Directories from 1947 onward show the address at 1418 Broadway, near the corner of Broadway and Atlantic Avenue, and as Club Lido. 

Charles DeLuca was the licensee in early 1939. In June of that that year the license was transferred to the partnership of Charles J. Deluca and Joseph Garaguso. Morris DiAngelo was the proprietor according to the 1947 Directory, and retained the principal interest in the establishment as late as 1967.

The Club Lido remained open on Broadway into the early 1970s. It was gone by 1977. 

Morris DiAngelo was born on January 19, 1914 in New Jersey, the second son of Amadio and Santa Angelo. The Angelo family lived at 420 Line street in Camden at the time of the 1930 census, when the elder DiAngelo was working as a laborer at the Camden Coke plant.  By 1947 Morris DiAngelo was operating Club Lido, He lived at 420 Line street in Camden according to the City Directory. 

Morris DiAngelo also owned the Greenwood Inn in Pennsauken, and kept the Greenwood through the 1950s. The ground next door was a Mobil gas station, DiAngelo sold that pierce of property to Mobil. The brick rancher along side the parking lot was where he lived. Morris DiAngelo passed away September 28, 1997.

Camden Courier-Post - August 14, 1935

Camden
Courier-Post

"Philip A. Glass"
Paid Advertising Column

October 17, 1936

Camden
Courier-Post

"Philip A. Glass"
Paid Advertising Column

October 17, 1936

Camden Courier-Post - June 14, 1939


Thanks to John Ciafrani for information used in the creation of this page

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE