CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
538 Kaighn Avenue
534 and 538 Kaighn were not bars prior to Prohibition. The Aronow family was living at 534 and elsewhere on Kaighn prior to 1920, and were involved in a number of small business in the 500 block... and would be into the 1990s. The Bader family moved to 538 at some point in the 1920s. Jacob Bader was running a poultry store at 538 Kaighn Avenue at the time of the 1930 census. He owned the property, living above the store with wife Mary, sons William, Louis, and Ira, and daughters Rachel and Bella. The Baders had emigrated from Russia and had lived in New York till 1920.
When Prohibition was repealed in 1933, a number of establishments were licensed along Kaighn Avenue. The Baders operated a bar and liquor store there in the 1930s. A friend of the family, Jack Bernstein, stayed with them in the mid-1930s, and operated a bar called The Oasis at 211 Market Street in Camden in the mid-1930s.
By 1947 the property had been sold to James Gorhan, who operated the bar as Gorhan's Cafe. The Bader family had by then left Camden. Sold again in the 1950s, the bar would be known as Bond's Bar from the 1950s through the late 1970s.
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE