CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
ADOLPH NEWMEYER'S CAFE
1006-1008 North 24th Street
The 1920 Census shows that Adolph Newmeyer and his wife Fannie were living at 954 North 27th Street in Camden's Cramer Hill neighborhood, where he was operating a shoe store in the building which he owned. Fannie Newmeyer's maiden name was Varbalow, she was a sister of Samuel Vabalow and Joseph Varbalow, who owned the Savar movie theater chain and were involved in real estate, law, and other enterprises.
At the time of the 1920 Census 1006-1008 North 24th was already the home of a saloon, which had been run since at least 1918 by a German immigrant named Hugo Stettnisch, according to the 1918-1919 Camden City Directory. Stettnisch operated the bar through at least 1921. Hugo Stettnisch was still living at 1006-08 North 25th at the time of the 1930 Census. The census indicates that he was then 64, retired, and that his son Rudolph was working as a salesman in a hardware store.
The 1931 Camden City Directory indicates that Adolph Newmeyer was operating the bar at 1006-1008 North 24th Street, which, in that year, prior to the 1933 repeal of Prohibition, was only allowed to serve near beer.
By 1947 the bar was being operated by Joseph Wandsleben, who was known in the neighborhood as Joe Wandy. The bar was known at that time as Joe Wandy's Chateau.
At some point in the 1950s the license was transferred to the property next door at 1010-1012 North 24th Street. 1006-1008 North 24th Street was acquired by the Crescent Bottling Company which adjoined the property. The building was razed and a garage was built where the Newmeyer's bar once stood.
The bar also changed hands several times in the next few years, appearing in the 1956 Bell Telephone Directory as Al's Cafe, and in 1959 as Steve's Cafe. By 1966 1010-1012 North 24th Street was owned by Gus Saccomanno, and was called the Little Tavern, and it went by this name through 1979. The 1982 directory shows the name Gregory's Cafe, by 1985 the bar ceases to be listed in the telephone book.
The bar stands vacant today, the roof having collapsed years ago.
Adolph and Fannie Newmeyer remained in Camden for many years. Their son, Joseph Newmeyer, became a doctor, and after serving with the 61st Station Hospital during World War II, practiced first at 121 South 27th Street, and from the 1950s through the late 1970s at 2632 Federal Street in East Camden. Fannie Newmeyer died in 1955. Adolph Newmeyer passed in August of 1973 at the age of 88. Dr. Joseph Newmeyer later resided in Cherry Hill NJ. He died on August 3, 1989.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE