CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

CAMDEN POST #980,
VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS

216 South Broadway

Organized in the years after World War I, Camden Post #980 of the Veterans of Foreign Wars was on of many veterans clubs that flourished in the city over the years, beginning after the Civil War, a few being still active as of this writing.

In its early years the Post was located at 308 Broadway. 308 and 310 Broadway were in those years owned by the city. 310 Broadway was the home of the August F. Walter Chapter No.4 of the Disabled American Veterans. 308-310 Broadway had been built by and was the home of Camden real estate developer and builder George Holl, who had passed away in 1912. In 1921 the City of Camden spent $50,000 to provide the quarters for the two groups. By 1936 the building s were in disrepair, and the city, in such bad financial shape brought on by the Depression that it was paying bills in scrip, made moves to dispose of the properties.

Post 980 was very active in the 1920s and 1930s. Many of Camden's leading citizens were either members or participated in the Post's activities. The Post often used the facilities of Camden Lodge 293, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks hall on Cooper Street at North 7th Street for its larger events.

When the post applied for its liquor license renewal in 1967, the officers were as follows:

Commander James V. Fiumano 1349 Van Hook Street
Senior Vice-Commander William Foster 250 South 33rd Street
Junior Vice Commander William Fallstick YMCA, Federal Street
Trustee Warren Gaskill 1115 Bergen Avenue
Trustee Nate Wolpert 1432 Broadway
Trustee Bruno J. Raczykowski 1101 Morton Street

The Post was still active at the Broadway address as late as October of 1970, as it is listed in the New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory published at that time. it is not listed in the 1977 Directory, and apparently was another social institution that fell victim to growing social chaos that was overtaking Camden in those years, the riots being only a symptom of the greater cancer.

In 2006 there are five veterans groups with Camden addresses, however, only three are at all active. It seems likely that all will be gone by the end of the decade, a sad, sad end to one of Camden's proudest chapters.

Broadway
North of Benson to Mickle Street
1915

308-310 Broadway, built by and lived in by George Holl, is the large house with the yard at the corner of Broadway & Benson. Post 980 was located here from 1921 through at least 1936.

Photographed from spire of
Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church

Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden Courier-Post - January 20, 1928

GOLD STAR MOTHERS TO ATTEND FOREIGN WAR VETERANíS BALL

Gold Star Mothers will be the honor guests at the first annual military ball of the Camden Post, No. 980, Veterans of Foreign Wars, to be held on Friday evening, February 3, in the Elks ballroom, Seventh and Cooper Streets.

Elaborate plans for this ball are under the chairmanship of John S. Pennington.

Invitations have been issued for patrons and patronesses and the list will be announced early next week.

Gold Star Mothers to attend the affair are Mrs. C. Alberger, Mrs. Harriett Ablett, Mrs. Laura Brown. Mrs. A. Crangel, Mrs. A. Cassidey, Mrs. R. Dilks, Mrs. Kate Geist, Mrs. M. Griffen, Mrs. Horace B. Keebler, Mrs. H. Kirk, Mrs. Ross Leahy, Mrs. M. A. Matson, Mrs. M. McGuckin, Mrs. Mary Martin, Mrs. M. Matthews, Mrs. Cooling Pond, Mrs. Oliver Powell*, Mrs. Mary Pennington, Mrs. C. Rolk, Mrs. E. Simons, Mrs. Mary Schucker, Mrs. Margaret Steigerwald, Mrs. Annie Taylor, Mrs. M. Osborn, Mrs. Mary Keegan, Mrs. Anna Kennedy, Mrs. T.C. Young and Mrs. Walters.

Assisting Mr. Pennington in planning this ball are John Rouh, James W. Connor, Charles Bozian, Robert MacMahon, Edward Watson, David Lukoff, Harry Laxton, Edward A. Stark, George Jones, William V. Long, Joseph Keefe, Charles Blank sad Marvel Passwater.

* Newspaper error- Mrs. Oliver Powell was actually Mrs. Oliver Purnell

Camden Courier-Post - January 28, 1928

Patrons, Patronesses Announced Today for First Military Ball

Patrons and patronesses for the first military ball of the Camden Post No. 980, Veterans of Foreign Wars, to be held on Friday evening February 3 in the Elks auditorium, Seventh and Cooper Streets., are announced today.

The following prominent men and women are listed: Mrs. J.W. Connor, Miss C.M. Day, Mrs. J.H. Forsyth, Mrs. H.J. Goodyear, Miss B. Graham, Mrs. R.E. Green, Mrs. E.F. Haines, Mrs. J. Hood Jr., Mrs. W. Hurley, Mrs. J. Jarrell, Mrs. T. Keefe, Mrs. J.F. Kobus, Mrs. L. Liberman, Mrs. F.L. Lloyd, Mrs. M.A. Logan, Mrs. T.P. McConaghy, Mrs. F.F. Neutze, Mrs. L.K. Marr, Mrs. J.A. Pennington, Mrs. M.E. Ramsey, Mrs. E. Truax, Mrs. S.M. Shay, Mrs. W.J. Staats, Mrs. B.G. Tarburton, Mrs. R.W. Waddell, Mrs. E. Watson, Mrs. E.P. Wescott, Mrs. C.A. Wolverton. 

David Baird Jr., William T. Boyle, Isaac Ferris, William Hurley, John Hood Jr., John Jarrell, Victor King, William J. Kraft, Thomas Keefe, Joseph F. Kobus, Hon. Edmund B. Leaming, Dr. A. Haines Lippincott, James H. Long, L.K. Marr, Dr. Thomas P. McConaghy, Hon. Frank F. Neutze, Samuel P. Orlando, Albert E. Simmons, Edwin Watson, Ethan P. Wescott.

Camden Courier-Post - August 12, 1936

QUESTION OF BAR IN CITY HALL PUT UP TO COMMISSION
Veterans Offered Twelfth Floor, Want to Take Liquor Along
BLEAKLY OPPOSES MOVE
...continued...

Camden Courier-Post - August 14, 1936

...continued...
...continued...

Camden Courier-Post - February 10, 1938
Veterans Stage Unique Rite

The Camden County Veterans of Foreign Wars famous traveling gavel, used to promote comradeship among members of different posts, was received by the Lieut. Elliott Post; No. 1931, in Audubon last night. Clarence Hewitt, past commander of Corp. Mathews-Purnell Post, No. 518, is shown presenting the gavel to Frank Mullin; commander of the Audubon post.

Audubon V.F.W. Post Receives Traveling Gavel
at Celebration

Shipbuilding Tool Spreads Over County to Stimulate Friendship Among War Units and Increase Membership;
 Commanders Attend Session

Lieut. Elliott Post, No. 1931, V. F. W.; of Audubon, last night received the Camden County Council's traveling gavel, used to promote comradeship and increase attendance at membership meetings of the county posts.

Presentation was made by Clarence Hewitt, past commander of Mathews-Purnell Post, No. 518, of Camden. The gavel, a maul formerly used to calk ships at League Island, was received by Frank Mullin, commander of the Audubon post.

The gavel is passed from post to post and on gavel night, as the recipient post holds open house for members of other units in the county.

Several posts of Camden, Runnemede, Laurel Springs and Gloucester were represented at the meeting. A business session and entertainment followed the presentation.

Guests were County Commander Charles Franks, Camden; William Breen, past county commander, Audubon; Charles G. Conners, councilman, Camden; Charles Sutton, commander of Post No. 980, Camden; Frank Booth, commander of Post No. 3324, Camden, and Ascenzio Ambrico, past commander of Post 2685, Camden.


Camden Courier-Post - February 15, 1938

Womans Auxilary of Camden Post, No. 980, 308 Broadway-Mrs. Bertha Huntsberger, Gold Star Mother, has become a member. A card party will be held tonight in the post home. Mrs. Florence E. Stark attended the women's conference held in Washington. Mrs. Mae Anderson, president; Mrs. Helen Sutton and Mrs. Ruth Cake were present at the Pow Wow in Trenton. 

Several members attended the sixteenth annual banquet of Corp. Mathews-Purnell Post, No. 518 Auxiliary held in O'Donnell's Restaurant and Cafe, Thirty-ninth and Federal Streets, Tuesday night. Some members also attended the reception to Commander Squyres.


Camden Courier-Post - February 28, 1938

AUXILIARY CARD PARTY

The Woman's Auxiliary to the Camden Veterans of Foreign Wars, Post 980, will hold a card party tomorrow evening at the headquarters, 308 Broadway. Mrs. Florence Stark is chairman in charge of arrangements.

Drink Up!
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE