CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
1501 Mount Ephraim Avenue
Louis Malinowski had been operating a bar at 1251 Mechanic Street, when, in the mid-1940s he acquired the property at 1501 Mount Ephraim Avenue. He first appears in the Camden City Directories at that address in 1947. His bar was known as Malin's Cafe. Louis and Hedwig Malinowski lived above the bar, which they operated until his death in February of 1959.
The bar at 1501 Mount Ephraim Avenue was eventually sold and by the mid 1960s was known as Spooly's Cafe. The bar changed hands once again in the late 1970s, and has been known as Schemenski's Tavern since about 1977.
Camden County Record - July 10, 1969
ANGLERS FOILED IN BID FOR AREA CROWN
Unless the deep sea fortunes of Zibby's Anglers change for the better on the next two trips, an assortment of burlap bags, lard cans and slightly used fishing gear will be placed on auction when the current angling season closes for the 1969 Whitman Park Fishing Clubs Association championship.
The Zibbyites first seasonal adventure left much to desired by the 21 anglers jiggling bait on Capt. J. Haggie's Emma C out of Avalon last Sunday. The excursion netted 27 bass, 48 porgies and 18 tautogs" for a grand total of 93 checked in by Chester Emerle and Mike Baldyga of Spooly's Fishin' Poles.
Ziggy Kochanowicz was the only one who had his best thing working on a modest catch of 14, that included a high of 8 porgies. Jimmy Gallen's eleven as runnerup gave him a 2-pound, 8-ounce porgy for the season's top weight in that category.
Walt Guzejko, the association's lensman, zeroed on . the trip and other than make the statement, "Unless our club's vicissitudes improve, we're gonna sell out," he refused to elaborate on the stock.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE