CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

LEV'S BAR
302-304 Stevens Street

The bar at 302-304 Stevens Street was open as early as 1940 as Miraglia's Cafe, owned and operated by one Joseph Miraglia. It appears in the New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory as Lev's Bar, Inc. The 1956 Directory, however, shows as the bar as the R&M Cafe. 

"Lev" was Clarence Levister Sr. He operated the bar at 302-304 Stevens Street through at least 1974. A 1967 advertising program for "Ducky's Dashery", a men's clothing store on Haddon Avenue, indicates that Herman McCargo also had an interest in the tavern.

Clarence Levister Sr. was born in 1906. When the census was taken in 1930 he lived in Philadelphia with his wife Gertrude and son Clarence Jr. where he worked as a postal clerk. He appears to have come to Camden in the late 1950s when he acquired the bar, and resided above the establishment until it was sold. By 1977 he had left Camden. Clarence Levister Sr. passed away in Philadelphia in 1993.  His son Clarence Jr. moved to Bow, New Hampshire where he passed away on January 31, 1997.

Herman McCargo was born December 9, 1931, He may have been related to the Samuel McCargo or the William McCargo families that lived in the 200 block of Stevens Street in the late 1940s. He died in September of 1978, last a resident of Camden NJ. There are still many McCargo family members in Camden.

By 1975 Lev's Bar was no longer listed in the New Jersey Bell Telephone directories. The building was torn down no later than 1990. 

Tee's Place - 629 Ferry Avenue - February 2003

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE