CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
also known as The New Junction Hotel
39 South 6th Street (aka 595 Bridge Avenue)
The Hotel Dubosq appears in Camden City Directories as early as 1890, under the name New Junction Hotel. In that year it was run by Mrs. Katherine "Katie" Zimmerman, who lived on premises. Her late husband, William G. Zimmerman, had operated a business called the Junction Hotel nearby on Haddon Avenue in 1887 in the 1880. It appears that he died in late 1887 or early 1888. He left two children, Pauline and Edward, who was born in July of 1887.
Katie Zimmerman was involved with a business called the New Junction Hotel at the corner of South 6th Street & Bridge Avenue (39 South 6th Street) by 1890. An October 23, 1894 Camden Courier obituary for John Haas cites him as being the proprietor of the New Junction Hotel. Not long after Mr. Haas' death, Katie Zimmerman married John Carrow DuBosq.
John Carrow DuBosq was born around 1854 in Pennsylvania. His early years were spent learning the jewelers trade. At the time of the 1880 census, he was living at home with his widowed mother, Elizabeth DuBosq on a farm Montgomery Township, Montgomery County PA. Also at home were his first wife Sarah J., daughters Annie and Frances, and his sister Mary. As he got older, he went by the name J. Carrow DuBosq.
The Camden City Directories in the years 1887 through 1891 show Peter and Francis DuBosq working as jewelers in those years. It is likely that John Carrow DuBosq came to Camden at some point after 1891, and eventually transitioned into another line of work, that of hotel and saloon keeper. He married Katie Zimmerman around 1896. Their first child, Thaddeus, was born in 1897. Daughter Regina came one year later.
By 1906 the business was known as the Hotel Dubosq. Sadly, when the census was taken in 1910 he was a widower, Katie Dubosq having passed at some point after 1898. He was then raising his children, Thaddeus and Regina DuBosq alone, with his older sister Mary Frances living with the family as well. J. Carrow DuBosq remained in business there through at least 1921, as he is listed in a Camden business directory for 1921 that year.
By the time of the 1920 Census J. Carrow Dubosq had leased his business to Agnes Wurst. He was still living on premises, with 595 Bridge Avenue his street address. Taking advantage of the opportunity, he was working as a machinist in a shipyard. Residing with him were his older sister Mary Frances, son Thaddeus, 22, daughter Regina Thompson, a 21 year old-divorcee, and his grandson Edmund, 3.
By 1924 the business had been renamed the Hotel Aldine, and was being run by Charles Nixon. 595 Bridge Avenue is not listed in city directories in 1929, and neither is the Dubosq family. He may have gone to Trenton NJ, where he was living when the Census was enumerated in 1930. John Carrow Dubosq by then had retired. John Carrow Dubosq passed away on October 2, 1942.
The 1947 Camden City Directory states that 39 South Sixth Street was then the address of the American Red Cross production department.
July 16, 1899
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE